Extending the edge of the canvas... and a tiff question

Edit My Images
Yes
Hey,

I want to get one of my photos blown up on a canvas for the lounge. However, I have a tendency to frame my shots as if it were a film camera rather than leaving a bit around the edge to photoshop out. This has put me in a quandry, as I want the canvas to have wrap around edges.

This is the photo in question. Needs a bit more tweaking because I did a little bit of burning in, and it shows:
dandelion.jpg

(Can provide a fullsize version)

I just want to extend the edges by a couple of inches so that the dandelion doesn't get wrapped around the edge. How can I go about this? I've tried doing bits and bobs, but I just can't get it right.

Also, I'm converting all my RAW's to tiff's, as I thought that this was the best format. HOWEVER, when I convert them to jpg, everything goes horribly wrong. Any ideas how I can get the jpg's to mirror what's on the tiff?

Thanks in advance :)

Tell the canvas company that you want wrapped edges but not to lose any of the picture and they will do it for you - Well mycanvasprints did on one that I ordered so I guess others could as well. (they did a sort of fudged mirror across the corner folds to keep the picture colours. Looked good.)

I almost never use tiffs so I'll leave that bit to someone else!

Kate can you describe "goes horribly wrong" in a bit more detail... Do they turn black and white, get covered in lemon curd, sing the birdy song?

Hehe not quite :D They just get darker by at least 1 stop, which completely ruins them when I've spent ages trying to get them to look perfect. Not sure how to stop it. I just want the jpg's to look identical to my finished tiff's. If this can't be done, I'll have to go back to coverting RAW to jpg instead. I just heard that tiff was better in terms of retaining info.

Thanks RobertP by the way - My only worry with this was that the edge of the dandilion will also be repeated, which is a bit of a sod. I suppose you'll only see it on 1 side of the canvas though, so it's not too bad.

Hehe not quite :D They just get darker by at least 1 stop, which completely ruins them when I've spent ages trying to get them to look perfect. Not sure how to stop it. I just want the jpg's to look identical to my finished tiff's. If this can't be done, I'll have to go back to coverting RAW to jpg instead. I just heard that tiff was better in terms of retaining info.

How are you converting the tiff to jpg? Are you viewing the tiff and jpg versions side by side in the same application and they look different or are you viewing the tiff in one app and the jpg in another?

I can't think of a reason why converting to jpg should cause the image to get darker apart from something related to colour management.

What are you using to do the conversion?

Back