Extension rings

Name
Maureen
Edit My Images
Yes
I'd like to have a go at some macro shots and someone suggested getting extension rings to use with my nifty fifty. Can anyone throw some light on which are the best but least expensive :shrug:

Thanks Dave they look good will definitley put these on my list. Off to persuade other half why I have to have them :LOL:

I'd go along with the Kenko's although One Stop Digital do them for £62.99 including shipping.....2% cheaper if you pay by bank transfer and not credit card.

Bob

Thanks Bob that's even better might have better chance persuading my other half now :)

I couldn't believe it when I read about tubes costing less than £10, I checked them out and OMG they do exist.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NIKON-Macro-E...rkparms=72:12|39:1|65:12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Now, I have to say that I have not tried these so I can't say how good / bad they are; what I can say is that when shooting at such close-up I have found that it is best to use Manual settings and Manual focus, as anything else doesn't give me the picture I want.

If I was new to this, I would surely give this a go since it is less than £5! I still can't believe the price, I can't even believe I'm recommending this given the ultra low price.

They have them for Canon too....

:puke: :puke: :puke:

I would strongly advise against these for several reasons;

Firstly, they are non-contact tubes and hence there is no connection from the body to the lens....no aperture stop down, nothing.

Secondly, they are built up of a set of tubes that can be screwed together and then the two EOD mount ends are added to the final assembly. The act of screwing and unskrewing them releases a fine dust of aluminium from the threads....this can get into the camera body or onto the back of your lens.

If you do decide to get them then please be very careful how you use them...I advise a very fine coat of vaseline on the threads to try to contain any dust.

Bob

Bob,

Thank you for putting this matter to rest, for me at least. Obviously you know a lot about these than I do, I hope that you've not been bitten by any of them.

Duckydoodle,

Sorry I posted these. It seems that the Kenko tubes would then be your best bet!

Thanks for taking the time to post the links for me Wail much appreciated.
Think I'll go with Kenko ones sugested by Dave from the place suggested by Bob :)
Thanks for the advice Bob think you might have saved me a lot of trouble :)

Bob,

Thank you for putting this matter to rest, for me at least. Obviously you know a lot about these than I do, I hope that you've not been bitten by any of them.

I did procure a set a while back but "not bitten", simply to see what quality they were and as a one off long extension for my 180L macro...180mm needs a lot of extension before you see a benefit

I use Canon's own extension tubes (EF12's and EF25's) but had two sets of Kenko's for a while....the Canon's have the slight edge in the build quality stakes but operationally they are inseperable (for obvious reasons).
I frequently hang heavy lenses on mine...300 and 400mm primes...and just have a little more trust in the Canon ones (peace of mind factor). There is a respected equipment tog on another forum who had a couple of occasions where Kenko's spontaneously released on him and this was always at the back of my mind with a kilo or more of £700 lens hanging on it.

I disposed of the cheapies for postage only with warnings of quality and dust to the buyer.

Bob

Thanks for the information Bob. Think I'll also check out the price of the Canon ones and add them to my list :)

Don't forget the Jessop extension tube set as well, They were on special offer a while ago £29 for the set but may have ended now. I have the Kenko ones and find them pretty good.

Iv got some of the £10 ones and they're not good really, no contacts, just replaced wi Canon 12 +25

Thanks for the information undertaker. Are the Canon any good? How much did they cost if that's not too cheeky a question :)

I got Canon for £90 and £60 from Wilinsons Cameras. not much more than kenko kit but struggle to obtain Kenko, spoke to friend who works for Jessops and he said Kenko would work as well as Canon. Better the devil nd all that

I'd like to have a go at some macro shots and someone suggested getting extension rings to use with my nifty fifty. Can anyone throw some light on which are the best but least expensive :shrug:

Have you thought about using close up lens, that is what I use. They just fit on to the end of the lens and you don't have to remove the lens like you do with extension tubes. Mine is Raynox 105CR, Alby (ajophotog) recommended me to get it, and it works really well.

another vote for the canon extension rings from me. they can be had a lot less than rrp if you look around and i'm really pleased with the results i've had from them so far.

i think i got mine's from bristol cameras, but i'm not certain on that....

Have you thought about using close up lens, that is what I use. They just fit on to the end of the lens and you don't have to remove the lens like you do with extension tubes. Mine is Raynox 105CR, Alby (ajophotog) recommended me to get it, and it works really well.

I did think about it Barbara and am considering it. Thanks for the recommendation. If you don't mind me asking how much did it cost? Have to persuade my other half it's not going to be too expensive :LOL:

I did think about it Barbara and am considering it. Thanks for the recommendation. If you don't mind me asking how much did it cost? Have to persuade my other half it's not going to be too expensive :LOL:

Hi Maureen. I got mine on Amazon from Avides Media it cost me £26.10 inc delivery. I also bought a step down ring from ebay for £4.99 which allowed me to screw it direct to the end of the lens, instead of using the supplied adapter, which I felt was a bit clumsy.
Here is a picture of it with the step down ring attached instead of the adapter.
2343339787_97ba1b831b_o.jpg

Here is a link to the item on Amazon but from different seller as I can't find it from Avides Media anymore. You can see on there what the adapter that comes with it is like as well.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007KS7D0

Any questions please ask me, Barbara

Thanks Barbara wow that's a lot cheaper than I was expecting. How sharp are the images it produces? Got any shots you've taken with it? Sorry for all the questions but getting excited about it now :LOL:

The link didn't work.

Try kenko, they retain the contacts between the camera and lens. And by the way use a 50mm lens or less to go as closer as possible. the brand does not really make any difference as it does not contain glass so don't worry about which brand produces the best quality, they only distance the lens from the camera. I have recommended kenko because I know that they do contain the electrical contacts which might possibly even retain autofocus although it might struggle to focus as you loose slightly light therefore reduces fstops or shutter stops but nothing to worry about, but metering remains. I own the kenko brand, they come in a set of three on the bay.
check my images this was taken using the tubes I mentioned. http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=34323&cat=500
Simon.

Thanks Barbara wow that's a lot cheaper than I was expecting. How sharp are the images it produces? Got any shots you've taken with it? Sorry for all the questions but getting excited about it now :LOL:

The link didn't work.

Try the link now - I've edited it and it's working on my pc.

Here are some of the pics I took with the Raynox:

20080325dandelion.jpg

bluebell2.jpg

Japonica.jpg

20080329Carnation-black.jpg

Back