Extension tubes for Canon

Name
Derek
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

i am thinking of getting some Kenko extension tubes for my Canon 500d as a cheaper alternative to buying a macro lens. I understand that these are really good and useful bits of equipment unless i am mistaken!

Question is, do I need to look out for anything in particular? One review mentioned they would not auto focus on a EF-S lenses, is that true, were there different models?

Also be good to know if i am barking up the wrong tree and should just consider getting a 60mm macro instead!

Thanks

The kenko tubes will auto focus on EF-S lenses, but I believe you can get two types of tubes. Make sure you get the ones with the pass through contacts for the autofocus to work.

As a cheap alternative they are great. I bought some initially but found that you had to get very close to the subject which is not great for skittish insects etc.

My advise would be to start off with them to make sure Macro is something you are really interested in, If so then get yourself a 100mm Macro or similar. the extension tubes will also work with macro lens to get you even closer, so would not be a total waste of money

How close you need to get depends on the lens, I bought a set of cheap-o tubes then very rapidly upgraded to the Kenko tubes. Didnt regret it as I still use them with my Canon 100mm Macro lens.. Lets me get even closer than 1:1 when I feel the need.

As above, make sure you get the ones with electrical pass through. You wont regret the purchase, and the Macro world is such an interesting place!

Sam

i have some el cheapo extension tubes for my sony. and yet to use them anger yet. but looking forward to it

The adverts I have seen for the Kenko tubes state that they do not work with EF-S lenses so I would check this first before buiying

Back