Extension tubes - quick question!

DRZ

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been borrowing cykey's ext tubes on and off for a while now whenever I need some extra macro reach. They are the Kenko DG ones, with the contacts to allow AF. I dont really use AF for macro stuff so that isnt a huge problem.

What COULD be a problem is if I lose E-TTL! I am a newb when it comes to how that all works as I have only recently picked up a flash (430EX) and I dont want to spend out on non-EF-compatible tubes (which are cheap) when I need the £100+ set of EF-compatible tubes.

Help!! :help:

EDIT: For all my looking, I didnt see another tubes thread on the same page :( Sorry guys! At least its not the same question!

no worries...

there is an article in a mag i have about tubes, i will go find it....

I have the Kenko DG Canon extension tubes and ETTLII works fine on both my 580 and MR14 Macro flash :)

SDK^ said:
I have the Kenko DG Canon extension tubes and ETTLII works fine on both my 580 and MR14 Macro flash :)

I have used them.. and I know it works... what I was asking (which I suppose wasnt clear) was "Do the tubes that DONT allow AF prevent ETTL working?"

£100 on a set of EF compatible tubes that allow AF or £13 on ones that dont. Big difference!

I have to assume that they would stop ETTL from working as they wouldn't get any distance information from the lens.

i got an article about 2x extenders, is that the same thing, or should i get me coat?

I suspect that ETTL world work to some extent but maybe not enough to meet your requirements. The metering measures the liight coming in through the lens so would expose correctly. As far as I am aware the camera tries to zoom the flash to match the focal length of the lens so without electrical contacts, it would not be able to set the flash.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the metering can / does pre-fire the flash and reads the light coming in to set exposure but cannot remember what the circumstances or camera settings were involved.

Back