Extension tubes

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Would members recommend extension tubes as a relatively cheap way to try macro photography and if so any brands that are particularly good? To fit Nikon D40 with 55 - 200 zoom.

The tubes are not the cheapest option but good i hear however the raynox adaptor would be good for you i think and if macro is not for you it will sell easy enough think they are around the £40 mark Raynox DCR 250

I use Kenko Extension tubes and they are very good, AF (and VR if you have it) will be maintained.

^^^ Me too.

I've been having a look at the Raynox DCR250 adaptor and it does look as if it might be better for me until I know which way I want to go. One thing though, a few people seem to be saying that it's quite hard to get used to because of the shallow DOF and that it's better to start with a DCR150.

Any thoughts on this?

I've been having a look at the Raynox DCR250 adaptor and it does look as if it might be better for me until I know which way I want to go. One thing though, a few people seem to be saying that it's quite hard to get used to because of the shallow DOF and that it's better to start with a DCR150.

Any thoughts on this?

For £40, the Raynox is an absolute bargain. It's only lens snobs like me that say you need to spend £400 on a pukka macro lens.

Yes, depth of field at close distance is very shallow, and there is nothing you can do about it. It's not the fault of close up lenses is what I mean to say. The 250 gets you quite a lot closer than the 150. Too close for most things IMHO, but there's no doubt the 150 is easier to use in this respect and very capable of amazing results. Works best with a zoom around 200mm, for good magnification and decent working distance; it can vignette with shorter lenses.

I use the Raynox 250. Wont take you long to get used to. My system is to turn the focusing ring all the way, move the camer backwards and forwards until subject is in focus, then move the camera back an inch and focus again, manually of course.

Back