Extension tubes

JSER

Suspended / Banned
Name
Jeremy
Edit My Images
Yes
I have always looked at the shots here with annoyance as I have always wanted to be able to shoot close ups as good with minimal fortune.

However I have just obtained 12mm and 25mm Canon extension tubes, the lens I will be using is my 28-135 Canon and ringflash.

Does anyone else here uses extension tubes please, and what are the pitfalls.

Thank you

Forgot to ask, as with most threads you tend to ignore them until they are relevant to you, now that I am leaping into close up not macro, what safety points should I take into account when collecting creepy little bugs etc, chilling them etc, unfortunately I may be rare, I can't bring myself to hurt anything so I would rather not take photos that harm creatures.

Last edited:
I suggested this thread be moved out of the critique and sharing section as this is looking for advise and your more likely to get useful information in the correct section (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

Is it in the wrong place !

where is the right one

I placed it under this heading

Threads in Forum : Macro and Close-Up

Last edited:
It's in the photo feedback and critique section. Probably be better in the basics or general discussion threads.

JSER said:
Is it in the wrong place !

where is the right one

I placed it under this heading

Threads in Forum : Macro and Close-Up

It should be in one of the talk sections (y) the Macro and Close-Up section is for posting photo's for Critique and Sharing (y)

I've suggest a move to talk nature (y) as that seemed to be the focus of you macro interest

I use a very cheap set of manual tubes now the only advice I can give is practice (y)

Get used to the flash as because you so close I've found it's all too easy to blow things out :eek:

Matt

It should be in one of the talk sections (y) the Macro and Close-Up section is for posting photo's for Critique and Sharing (y)

I've suggest a move to talk nature (y) as that seemed to be the focus of you macro interest

I use a very cheap set of manual tubes now the only advice I can give is practice (y)

Get used to the flash as because you so close I've found it's all too easy to blow things out :eek:

Matt

Thanks, perhaps someone who knows where this should be could move it.

Thanks

Things you will notice, not sure if pitfalls is the correct term are;

Depth Of Field decreases drastically so you will need to close the aperture down further than you might usually or try and software stack a number of shots.

Less light effectively available through the tubes and this is compounded by the need the to close the aperture in the first point.

If you need to freeze movement then a faster shutter further compounds the availble light problem - however the ring flash would certainly help and have seen your flashgun rig in another post so you might be better prepared than many.

Slightest movement of camera on a bad tripod/head can throw the composition and focus/DoF out, the working margins are pretty tight.

Its not impossible to do handheld but you really need flash or good daylight depending on the subject I would say.

I'm relatively new to Macro too but just got a focus rail which I have yet to try out.

My advice would be to stay away from the ends of the zoom range....maybe use it between 35mm and 120mm. The 28-135 is prone to a little distortion and CA and the tubes will make it appear a little worse.
The plus side is that a 25mm tube will give you better than 1:1 with a 12mm tube giving about 1/2 life size.

Bob

Things you will notice, not sure if pitfalls is the correct term are;

Depth Of Field decreases drastically so you will need to close the aperture down further than you might usually or try and software stack a number of shots.

Less light effectively available through the tubes and this is compounded by the need the to close the aperture in the first point.

If you need to freeze movement then a faster shutter further compounds the availble light problem - however the ring flash would certainly help and have seen your flashgun rig in another post so you might be better prepared than many.

Slightest movement of camera on a bad tripod/head can throw the composition and focus/DoF out, the working margins are pretty tight.

Its not impossible to do handheld but you really need flash or good daylight depending on the subject I would say.

I'm relatively new to Macro too but just got a focus rail which I have yet to try out.

AH...........

Focus rail, YES, thank you, that is something I need and forgot about, much easier than moving or trying to move the camera/mount setup.

My advice would be to stay away from the ends of the zoom range....maybe use it between 35mm and 120mm. The 28-135 is prone to a little distortion and CA and the tubes will make it appear a little worse.
The plus side is that a 25mm tube will give you better than 1:1 with a 12mm tube giving about 1/2 life size.

Bob

Thank you

Back