Extention Tubes ~ Help Needed

Kim

Name
Kim
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been looking to get hold of a macro lens, but currently am unable to afford one of any decent quality.

But I do have a set of Extention Tubes which I can start to "practice" with.

The problem is I seem to have had no luck using them so far. Could anyone offer any advise on how to use them correctly and get the best out of them?????????

The lens I own are both canon. One is a 17-85mm IS and the other is a 80-200mm.
The extention tubes are Jessops set of tubes made up of a 13mm, 21mm, 31mm.

Hi,
What sort of problems are you having?
John

No problems as such, I am just not sure how to use them properly :bang:

I am not sure which combination is best to use and with which lens. I have tried playing around with them but am getting frustrated with myself as I can't seem to work them out.

Hi,
Why not start with the 17/85, leave it at 85mm, put the thinnest tube on, set the lens to the minimum focussing distance, find a subject that will not move and take a photo. Then change the tubes and photograph the same subject and see how much closer you can get. Work through all the combinations of tubes and you will learn how close you can go to your subject. The butterfly on your web site is good.
Any help?
John

Hi,
Why not start with the 17/85, leave it at 85mm, put the thinnest tube on, set the lens to the minimum focussing distance, find a subject that will not move and take a photo. Then change the tubes and photograph the same subject and see how much closer you can get. Work through all the combinations of tubes and you will learn how close you can go to your subject. The butterfly on your web site is good.
Any help?
John

Ok, I will give that a try. Hopefully off out tomorrow to somewhere with lots of plant life..........so I can practise without it running away.

Thanks for the commet about the butterfly.....it was taken with the 17-85mm lens.................I just slowly moved the camera nearer and nearer the butterfly whilst looking throught the viewfinder at a distance and kept my fingers crossed I kept the little critter in focus.

Hi
Be carefull with the plants, the closer you get the more problems you will have with any wind causing movement. I know people use clamps to hold plant stems to stop movement.
Good luck
John

When using the tubes use manual focus, and set the focus to its closest focus then move the camera back wards and forwards to focus the subject, as altering the focus with the lens will change the magnification.

Back