External Drive Problems

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
Having a little problem with my external hard drive (WD My book 2tb)

At present the drive powers up, with the light flashing, thats it! This happened after it was unplugged (power) without ejecting.

I cant see the drive in finder, but I can see it in disk utility, but I cant verify/repair it in first aid.

It does give me the option of erasing though.

This is my time machine backup so a bit concerned really!

Any ideas what to do please

removing drives without ejecting can cause havoc, its one of the most common things that happens at work.

only way i know to get the data is with a recovery tool then format the drive to get it back up and running.

Is it a single drive or 2 drives in a case? If its a single drive I'd open it up and plug the HDD inside into a desktop machine or a caddy fire it up that way and see if the computer detects it. If it does then you know it's the WD USB host adaptor if not then the HDD is screwed.

Also I've had a WD power supply fail before the led would glow dimly but nothing would happen they replaced it under warranty.

EDIT I'd try the software recovery first before doing what I said plenty of Linux live CDs about specifically for recovery.

Last edited:
pablo_paul said:
Is it a single drive or 2 drives in a case? If its a single drive I'd open it up and plug the HDD inside into a desktop machine or a caddy fire it up that way and see if the computer detects it. If it does then you know it's the WD USB host adaptor if not then the HDD is screwed.

Also I've had a WD power supply fail before the led would glow dimly but nothing would happen they replaced it under warranty.

EDIT I'd try the software recovery first before doing what I said plenty of Linux live CDs about specifically for recovery.

It's not the enclosure, some drives do something to the data on incorrect eject on osx. God knows how many drives I've had to recover because they've been accidentally unplugged.

I forget what the recovery program we have at work is called though, it wasn't free though.

Cheers for the replies all

I suppose in a way I am a little lucky, this is only my timemachine backup so have not actually lost any data from its original locations!

I may have to just try and format if I can through disk utility

Back