Beginner External hard drive case?

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
No
I have a number of hdd 2tb drives which I want to use as a back up system what type of unit do I need

I use an Icybox twin dock which works well and means I can easily swap drives, if you want a 'container' then you can just get an external USB drive caddy ... search eBay, Amazon etc for options. :)

If you have USB 3 on your PC, it's also worth making sure you get a USB 3 case / caddy - there's a big difference in transfer speed between USB 2 & 3, and you really notice it when trying to back up that sort of volume of data

If you're looking at a container instead of a docking station then avoid the cheap ones - they almost always keep disconnecting - I have used Sumvision USB 3 caddies without problems but personally would probably recommend a good docking station nowadays as these enclosures tend to run hot unless you use an "eco" HDD.

And whatever you do don't keep them plugged in.

If I bought a nas system say a 2 bay can you just plug a external hd into it to expand the storage 2-3 ?

you wouldnt be able to use it to add capacity to the main drive no.

something like a synology may have a usb port but its often for sharing the usb drive out separately to the main storage, or used as backup for the main storage.

Back