EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE CONUNDRUM

Name
michael
Edit My Images
Yes
Help please. My present external g- drive 4tb x 2 are nearly full. What’s best practice purchasing 2x 8tb and transfer over the photos to the new drives thus leaving me a further 4tb of usage on each drive ? Or purchase another pair of 4tb drives thus having a total of 4x 4tb plus all the extra wiring etc that’s involved? All this is on a MacBook Pro 2018 usb-c. The iPhoto libraries are all on the drives not the MacBook Pro.
Advice needed please.
Kind regards Mike

I would be inclined to buy 2 x 4TB hard drives, copy your photos and anything else onto them then use the old 2TB for additional back ups.
You should never rely on 1 or 2 hard drives as your only source of back up.
You could look at investing in a NAS box and run the hard drives as RAID 1 (the second hard drive would be an exact copy of the first had drive also known as mirroring).
I run a Synology DS218j in RAID 1 and I highly rate them but I just don't rely on it for my back ups, I also run a pair of hard drives as RAID 1 in a desktop PC and use them as a secondary back up.
Chances are that your router supports gigabit and if you plug your Mac into it rather than just via wifi you will see some decent transfer speeds to a NAS as well.

Last edited:
Thankyou for your thoughts I will check up on this.
Kind regards Mike.

Back