External harddrive with inbuilt card reader

Name
Ken
Edit My Images
No
I know back in the day, these were something on a buzz. However with my recent long days of weddings, I'm finding myself filling up nearly 60GB or more with my 5DMKII (RAW only)

I don't want to lug my laptop around with me if i can, so I'm looking for alternative storage solution. Surely there must be some togs out there who's been in this situation? I can buy more and bigger CF but I'm want to explore my options on which will be the cheaper and most effective.

Does anyone know of an self powered external hard drive that has a inbuilt CF card reader.

Thanks

I have a Flashtrax that has a reader and a small display and I'm sure Canon and Epson make similar products.

Last edited:
I'd be amased if CF cards were not the cheaper option

I've look at major retailers and don't know where in the categories to find these hard drives.

I've tried searching for Hard drives, portable hard drives, Flash drives, accessories, etc. I think these products are not in circulation any more considering the price of memory cards like the SD are so cheap. CF has become cheaper but I still want to explore what my options are before I purchase another 2 x 16GB at £60 each :(

should be amazed

Hyperdrive Colorspace is the best. You may have difficulty finding one just yet as the UDMA version is no longer produced and the replacement isn't out yet. Otherwise a Nexto ND2730 is a pretty good alternative. £290 is a fair bit of cash - but 640GB is a lot of space.

Though to be honest, I would still only have one as a backup. I would still want everything on the original cards too!

A friend of mine lost a whole day's worth of photos at a car show because of one of these.

Here's a Canon one...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-9734A...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1344521682&sr=1-1

Searching for photo storage seems to find a few.

L love my flashtrax...

_1080570c.jpg

Last edited:
That needs to be avoided like the plague. Four hundred quid for 30GB!

It's obviously a matter of opinion.

You can just use cards and as the price drops it becomes possibly the best option but if you do want a backup drive with a screen then why not? Especially if you want to review shots without using the back of your camera.

I've taken that Flashtrax all over and it's never missed a beat. I think it cost £99.

Used to have one of these hdd with a screen and card reader.

Soo much cheaper just buying decent cf cards and safer too.

how about saving in jpeg plus raw - then use a ipad and download the jpegs during the course of the day to it ? as a 'backup' beter than nothing - its what i do when im on holiday etc

Im curretly waiting for hyperdrive to release their new version of the colourspace UDMA (should be in the next few weeks). This one, like the last, allows you to back up to a portable hard drive like a "Western Digital My Passport" at the same time. 500 GB, Double back up with WD passport and viewing screen for around £400. Would cost me a hell of a lot more in CF sandisk extreams!

Just got the Canon media Storage M30 from ebay with spare battery, charger and case for £70. inc delivery and so far well impressed,
Park Cameras have just sold the 80gb version for £129. i missed it be 1 hour
Hope this helps

Back