External memory for Mac

Name
Cathy
Edit My Images
Yes
Could anyone direct me to a link online or even a thread here about the above.

Now that I am using raw files I think I require an external drive to store all my pictures on.
Cathy

Hi,

I use a Porshe Design Lacie Drive.

Come in various Gigabyte sizes, available fom Mac store, Currys , etc.

I Have an iMac with Usb3 which these Drives are so are very fast, though backwards compatible for Usb2.

Regards.

Last edited:
Perhaps look in the computer threads lower down. I use a 1TB G Drive connected via firewire 800. Compatible with Time Machine so it just sits there backing everything up for me.

As a pro sound mixer and hard drive thrasher with HD video, myself and most of my industry colleagues would agree that LaCie drives have a high failure rate. G Drive are a better option

what mac do you have, some of them have different connections available.

agreed with mike, avoid lacie their enclosures are rubbish. had more failures of those than anything else.

and might be worth RTM'ing the thread and asking it to be moved to computers section..

Mike good question.

All I can tell you is it is a 27 inch Mac Osx
With 4 USB ports at the back
I am a novice to photography and have been taking lots of practice shots over the last year and now using raw files.
Just need to get all of these off my mac as they will start to use up memory
Cathy

I have Two Lacie Drives, 1 Powered (2T) 1 (1T) portable which is not, both are Usb3.

The Bigger one is used for backing up the iMac, the other for Video files (Movies).

Neither have Failed on Me.

Not to say they won't, sometimes it can be the way people treat them.

Regards.

I have Two Lacie Drives, 1 Powered (2T) 1 (1T) portable which is not, both are Usb3.

The Bigger one is used for backing up the iMac, the other for Video files (Movies).

Neither have Failed on Me.

Not to say they won't, sometimes it can be the way people treat them.

Regards.

had more "rugged" drives fail than i care to mention, also several quadra desktop drives (that never move) failures.

I use a couple of Western Digital portable drives, a1tb and 2 tb, that I use for raw files and raw file backup.so far they seem pretty good and not had any problems.dont forget you will need to format the drive before using it on a mac.ive recently moved from a pc to a mac and it was easy to do.just search for it on google. im going to soon start backing up final processed jpegs to 500gb wd portable drive that will be kept off site and also to a website too. cant be too safe with a few copies of everything.

I personally run a readynas nv+ which works fine with my mac!
Relatively cheap second hand and will give you a lot more storage and redundancy depending how you set it up... Plus it gives you the option to upsize pretty easily in the future :)

Neil how do I find the age ?

Thank you all I will have a look at the ones you recommend.
Cathy

Go to the apple menu and find own the menu "about my mac". Then go to the mac tracker website if you need more info

Cheers

All this talk about lacie, G drives etc, you should never buy an external hdd on the strength of who made the box, check which hard drives are used inside the 'lacie for gdrive' box.
If they do not give this information then you walk on.

I prefer to buy an external hdd made by a reputable hard drive manufacturer not a box maker. (not even a porche designed box.)

All this talk about lacie, G drives etc, you should never buy an external hdd on the strength of who made the box, check which hard drives are used inside the 'lacie for gdrive' box.
There are only 3 HDD manufacturers: WD, Seagate and Toshiba.... and Seagate own LaCie, so I'd expect Seagate drives to be in LaCie enclosures.

The problem is, unless you have had access to a statistically large sample of the drive in the box you are thinking of buying, you have no idea how reliable the drive actually is. Drive reliability differs between different drives within the same company, let alone between different companies.

When I buy drives, I plan for them to fail. That is, I have a reasonable backup strategy.

I prefer to buy an external hdd made by a reputable hard drive manufacturer not a box maker. (not even a porche designed box.)

I should say that probably 80% of LaCie failures I've seen have been enclosure related. Some failing completely, some corrupting the data.

Back