External Microphone for DSLR?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hey folks,

I've started doing some video with my new EOS 5d MkII and am very happy with the image quality. But the main bugbear is the sound quality. Ideally I would like a radio microphone (I do a lot of stuff 'to camera') and can't seem to find anything on 't interweb. Anyone have any suggestions or experience?

Marry Chrimble to one and all.

Andrew

A google on 'external mic 5d mk2' shows that it has a stereo mic socket and gives a number of results on people looking for the same thing.

this link gives a review where the tester uses this mic

I have a rode mic (not that specific model and there great). Just search through ebay and you should find cheaper alternatives.

Be aware that the external mic option going into a 5d and a 7d results in poor audio quality. This is because the camera has something called automatic gain control or something like that where it increases the volume. As a result you get an extreme background hiss.

This is easily removed if you have a decent editing programing like soundtrack pro in final cut studio, but if not you would be better with either the internal mic OR using separate audio recording and matching it to the video in the editing stage.

There is a fix for the 5d called Magic Lantern, but it is a hack and if you run it on your camera it will null the warranty. It also has to run every time you turn the camera on I believe. You can read more about this here:

http://www.cinema5d.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8559&p=60548&hilit=7d+audio#p60548

Very interesting! Thanks for the replies, will give it a mull over...

Do you know about the Zoom H2 and similar?

Be aware that the external mic option going into a 5d and a 7d results in poor audio quality. This is because the camera has something called automatic gain control or something like that where it increases the volume. As a result you get an extreme background hiss.

This is easily removed if you have a decent editing programing like soundtrack pro in final cut studio, but if not you would be better with either the internal mic OR using separate audio recording and matching it to the video in the editing stage.

There is a fix for the 5d called Magic Lantern, but it is a hack and if you run it on your camera it will null the warranty. It also has to run every time you turn the camera on I believe. You can read more about this here:

http://www.cinema5d.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8559&p=60548&hilit=7d+audio#p60548

really? researching now

Holy Thread Revival indeed! :D

For the record I ended up with the Sennheiser MKE400, and I'm very pleased with it. (y)

I've dabbled with the idea too and haerad good things about that mic. Then I also thought about the Zoom H1 or H2.
Did you try any others out, like the Rode?

Back