External monitor for camera

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I need an off camera monitor (I bought the 60D hoping that the swivel screen would be enough, but due to how I have to position the camera to take photos, I can't see the screen well enough to focus and view properly)

So I thought the logical answer would be an external monitor, hooked up to the camera.

Looking through them, it seems some are extremely expensive, however I've found 2 from lilliput that seem to be ok, so was hoping to get some feedback and advice.

The two I'm looking at are the 668GL and the 5Dii

Any help would be really appreciated, or any other suggestions

thanks

I'm not au fait with Canon cameras but if it's got a video output then yu should be able to connect it one of those cheap portable DVD players. I've done it with Nikon cameras so I'm guessing it will work with your lot too :)

If your camera can accommodate a Wi-Fi card, then you can use an I-Pad. A few members in our club use this and have almost instant image on the pad within a few seconds.

Are you using it for stills or video? I can see the point of an external monitor for video, but not really for stills.

You'd be better off tethering the camera to a laptop with a 5m USB cable and running it with EOS Utilities. That way you have remote control of the camera functions as well!

If your camera can accommodate a Wi-Fi card, then you can use an I-Pad. A few members in our club use this and have almost instant image on the pad within a few seconds.

That's an interesting idea!! I don't have an ipad, but that does sound interesting - but I could buy a kindle fire for a similar price to the monitors i've linked here, would it work with that? Would i be able to tether that via usb, rather than an eye fi card (just as the card is about £50 and I dont mind wires)

Are you using it for stills or video? I can see the point of an external monitor for video, but not really for stills.

You'd be better off tethering the camera to a laptop with a 5m USB cable and running it with EOS Utilities. That way you have remote control of the camera functions as well!

I should probably have explained better, but i wrote this thread in a bit of a rush. I have a disability, and due to how i have to place the camera to be able to operate it, I can't see the live view screen (I thought the 60D would overcome that, but using the camera for more than a minute or two is difficult even with the variangle lcd, and i've found that it's getting in the way of me taking photos)

I use the camera for stills.

thanks for all the replies! If there's any other ideas, it'd be good to hear them!

Lilliput are ok we use on, make sure you buy one with a battery pack installed

Forget kindle, and the whole wifi card to ipad is just too slow, and no good for live shooting.

Yeah forget the kindle and the others you mentioned, for £60 more you can buy a nexus 7 android table then get a £6 app dslr contoller from chainfire just connect the 2 with a usb job done. You not just viewing you can also control the camera focusing changing shutter speeds etc from the tablet. Plus you then have a tablet for browsing the internet etc.. much more useful.

Follow the link for a demonstration http://youtu.be/vEeRUFEC4tc

Last edited:
I use my Samsung Galaxy SII and a USB host cable along with DSLR Controller installed on the SII

Last edited:
ah, now that is interesting as i have an sii.
So, that might be the best option? Has anyone else tried it on a phone?

ah, now that is interesting as i have an sii.
So, that might be the best option? Has anyone else tried it on a phone?

Yeah thats defo the best option it will cost you £6 for the app, and a couple of quid for a usb cable

Last edited:
Yeah thats defo the best option it will cost you £6 for the app, and a couple of quid for a usb cable

Things don't often work out as handily as that!
Luckily I have a generous sister who just got an siii, and is giving me her old sii!!

Thanks so much everyone!! I'll let you know how it goes when I get all the stuff needed and try it out

If OP needs the external screen to focus and compose, then an eye fi card won't help, something that can display live view is needed

Op, yes, the Lilliput monitors monitors will be your best bet. Make sure you get one that has a battery slot, sorry, I can't advise on the particular models.

Back