Beginner External monitor

Name
Antony
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all I recently brought myself a canon 350D so that I could learn how to use a DSLR on a budget before upgrading to anything else but I'm having trouble with the LCD screen on the back as its not the largest screen. I've been told I can attach my tablet and use it as an external monitor. I know the 350D doesn't have live view so it would only be able to check the shot after its been taken but I was wondering if it's as easy as connecting the USB on the camera to the USB on the tablet and running the correct app (though I have no idea which appp would need to be used).

any advice and tips about how to do this would be great.

You can attach a laptop or windows tablet and run EOSutility via USB but I know of no other way. I cant remember offhand if my 350D ( yes I started out with one ) had any kind of video output socket.

You don't need to have a tablet for a bigger screen if the camera has HDMI output. You can buy a cheap Raspberry PI screen and feed the camera into that :D

You can attach a laptop or windows tablet and run EOSutility via USB but I know of no other way. I cant remember offhand if my 350D ( yes I started out with one ) had any kind of video output socket.

It does have video out but that's for attaching to Tv's as far as I'm aware, I'm specifically trying to do it via the Mini USB so that I can review shots as I know it would be impossible to preview them due to no live feed

It's more the fact that tablets don't have video in.

yep, the tablet doesn't have video in but it does have a Micro USB slot and I'm wondering if its possible with the use of an app to use that as the input. I've been searching YouTube which does seem to imply its doable with the videos I've found just not exactly how to do it.

Last edited:
You don't need to have a tablet for a bigger screen if the camera has HDMI output. You can buy a cheap Raspberry PI screen and feed the camera into that :D

Lol its almost a decade old I don't think HDMI was even a thing on cameras then though it would be nice :p

I could definitely use one to create an ad-hoc network that I could sign into with the tablet, I'm not sure how I'd transfer the image though.

I understand some have associated apps that allow an auto sync/push type process, but have never used one myself.

@Antony hayward I really hope that works but I would be quite surprised if it does in a camera, maybe in other devices, it would need some form of driver etc built into the camera.

I've ended up just buying some Cf cards but from what i can see from the canon data base all the drivers menus etc are included on the card itself and then auto install or activate or whatever when its inserted into the camera. I've put the link below

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART108916

I've also brought a sync cable and an OTG cable I'm just waiting for them to turn up to try them.

Last edited:
I had an Eyefi card, they generate their own wifi hotpot and you need the App on your phone or tablet to work. To be honest it was pants, if your camera had a shielded card slot which the 350d does you would find it hard to connect. I did try and find it but must have dumped it.

I've ended up just buying some Cf cards but from what i can see from the canon data base all the drivers menus etc are included on the card itself and then auto install or activate or whatever when its inserted into the camera. I've put the link below

I've also brought a sync cable and an OTG cable I'm just waiting for them to turn up to try them.

great, lets hope it works and look forward to hearing the update.

great, lets hope it works and look forward to hearing the update.

yep it works only downside and I think its something to do with the settings is I have to unplug the camera from the camera between taking images as otherwise the camera states that its busy but as a way of checking multiple images when I'm out using the tripod it works.

Edit. I just ordered the adapters I'd need to attach the camera to the video out instead of the mini usb which means it should turn the tablet into an external monitor taking over from the LCD screen on the back of the camera rather than using the USB to just download the images to the tablet.

Last edited:
Back