Externally Zooming Lenses

JohnBradbury

A jolly good egg!
Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Morning all,
having started to invest in the new RF system from Canon, and finding that most of their lenses focus using external zooming I’m just wondering what if any disadvantages this might bring?

Obviously this is great in terms of space saving in my bag, but I’m a little worried about weather and dust.

Morning all,
having started to invest in the new RF system from Canon, and finding that most of their lenses focus using external zooming I’m just wondering what if any disadvantages this might bring?

Obviously this is great in terms of space saving in my bag, but I’m a little worried about weather and dust.

Roger Cicala:
"Before we start, though, let’s get the extending barrel discussion out of the way. Some of you HATE extending barrel lenses. That’s cool; don’t get one. Some of you like to call them dust pumps. That’s cool, too, although it’s incorrect. (We take care of over 20,000 lenses. The most common ‘dusters’ among current lenses all happen to be primes that don’t zoom at all.)"

From - https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/20...ed-teardown-of-the-canon-rf-70-200mm-f2-8-is/

I wouldn't worry about it.

Good luck taking 2 shots one with CPL or ND and one without for example. There are cases where you might want to do this. It is obviously not an issue with IF lenses. They seem better built too, but probably most will get away with it... Then there are the looks. The good old EF 70-200mm f/2.8L really looks the business and these don't come even close to it. I still can't get over the EF 24-70 II looks so much worse thank mk1, but at least that was optically not so great and not true IF, just a clever look-alike.

Back