Eye, eye, captain!

Name
Mike Beaton
Edit My Images
Yes
Firstly, for all these shots I share dual credit with Chris D - for lending kit, advice, being an extra hand and occasionally being the one pressing the magic button.

This came about after stumbling across a website bemoaning the lack of good close-up shots of the human eye. It showed a few examples and I was hit by the notion that I had to give this a try.

A couple of false starts. Forgot I had a set of (nasty, cheap) macro screw-on lenses for my nifty-fifty. I was very short of light in my little FTE room - so I called Chris over with his flash and wireless triggers.

Anyway, I got to shooting and got three frames that I liked, which you'll see below. C&C very welcome, as ever :)

#1 - 1/50 f/11 ISO400

This was the first one we got that we both took a liking too. Fairly minimal PP on it - the only major PP I applied to all three images was a "High-Pass, Soft-Light" Sharpening - which brought the images up wonderfully.

#2 - 1/50 f/11 ISO400

This one is of Chris' eye (I don't have two different coloured eyes - though I once knew a girl who did... different story). Annoyed about the reflection but short of a bunch of softboxes and darkroom, what am I going to do? Again, little PP - just levels and a small boot to the colour of the iris.

#3 - 1/50 f/11 ISO400

This is my favourite from this little set. Much more PP to really pick out the Iris in all it's glory. As an aside, if anyone knows why I have a little orange spec in my right iris - it's been bugging me for years! :thinking:

Thanks for looking!
M

Last edited:
*eye* love eye shots ;)

last one for me, love the colour and the texture of the Iris, and that you can actually see more of the eye itself.

Vi x

Thanks for the comments guys (and gals) :)

Phillip, they weren't shot after a night out but I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a fair amount of scotch flowing as we faffed about with kit :)

I had another attempt this morning at getting more detail in the iris - best I ended up with is below.

Now, from that angle, yes. I find the shot creepy :s

--EDIT--
Rather than double-post I'll add my left eye to this one :).

I still think I prefer the side-on angle, even if you don't get as much detail in the iris...

I'll have to find someone with nicer eyes than mine and flatter them by getting them to pose for me I think...

Last edited:
Great blue eyes.

But I quite like the second brown eye. The surface is so clear and great reflection.

Still frightened.

I agree about straight on shots, very scary...but I also think that the first two shots were slightly too much at an angle for me, might have been better in #2 without the so much reflection possibly?

Vi x

, might have been better in #2 without the so much reflection possibly?

Yeah, I'm with you there. Main reason for the reflection was bounce-flash, I spent most of the evening trying to reduce the reflection. Bounce flash (strangely) wasn't the best idea going :wacky:

I'm going to have another bash at some tomorrow - got someone willing to play eye-model for an hour or so :)

I might try with some greater reflection - I wonder if it's possible to capture some kind of scene in the reflection, even if it's just reading a book or something... :thinking:

If nothing else it'll be easier being able to sit behind the camera for a change. nifty-fifty autofocus+macro conversion lenses do not a painless experience make.

Cheers for the comments all :)

Back