Eye Eye!!!

Edit My Images
No
Ok, this is something I've never attempted properly before. Even these are rough attempts. Lighting is too harsh and they're not the highest quality but then holding a camera up towards your own face and trying to get the eye in focus isn't the most easy of things to do :)

Anyway, 2 shots of one of my eyes up close and personal with the macro lens and one 12mm ext. tube.

1259320337_KFSXzn6-O.jpg

1259320418_jCHqFV6-O.jpg

Even if you say these are rough attempts you've caught a lot of detail on the iris there

When you say your own eye, did you also take the shot yourself ?. How did you get focus ?.

Thanks guys.

Rich, Yes I took the shot. I held held the camera with the front element facing towards me. I switched autofocus on and looked into the lens. At certain points you see a perfect circle of light. that means you're seeing through the lens, and then the light that is being relfected off the mirror and then through the view finder. You don't see any detail of course but you can see movement if there's anyone behind the camera moving. Once I heard the focus lock beep at me I took the shot and then keeping the camera where it was and by making very minute adjustments left, right up and down I knew at some point, I'd get the iris fully in the frame.

Took quite a few attempts for sure.

A better way of doing this would be to put the camera on a tripod, hang a weight on a piece of string from the cross brace in our conservatory at the exact height of my eyes, get focus on the weight and then move myself and in particular one of my eyes into the position the weight is in and use remote release. that would probably guarantee a successful image each time.

I also should bounce the light or have the flash off camera to avoid getting the white of the softbox in the eye.

Last edited:
Haha, it's not easy. They tend to blink and move their eyes around a lot. Then there's the moving backwards and forwards as they start to lose balanced :D.

I tried with mine last night and gave up :D

Very nice capture. Ive tried this myself and took a long time to get a result. Certainly easier doing it to someone else.

Thanks Tom :)

Back