Eye to eye with a Common Blue Butterfly

The shallow depth of field provides a striking image, which is completely different to the norm. (y)

The shallow depth of field provides a striking image, which is completely different to the norm. (y)
Glad you like it; I'm happy with the result but I did manage to kneel in Nettles with both knees trying to get to eye level! The joys :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I prefer the first image because it is so striking and a very strong graphic impact.

If it had been focus stacked all the way through it would be good but not so special.

Btw, I sometimes wear a pair of industrial knee pads when I am out minibeast hunting.

I prefer the first image because it is so striking and a very strong graphic impact.

If it had been focus stacked all the way through it would be good but not so special.

Btw, I sometimes wear a pair of industrial knee pads when I am out minibeast hunting.
Thanks Robin, that’s a good idea! I’ll look into the knee pads.

I got mine from a local builders and hardware suppliers - They have bright yellow sides though! But they're best ones I have ever had so far (I lost my last pair in Greece). 'Qep' is the brand I think.

Wildlife is not spooked by them!! :D

Looks like the vapor you see rushing over the wings of a jet. Great photos Luke. (y)

Looks like the vapor you see rushing over the wings of a jet. Great photos Luke. (y)
Thanks Alby; I hadn’t thought of that imagery but I like it!
I’m pleased with how these turned out myself, considering I went off along the coast path looking for seabirds and left my macro lens in the bag “just in case” and never saw a single interesting bird :ROFLMAO:

I’m pleased with how these turned out myself, considering I went off along the coast path looking for seabirds and left my macro lens in the bag “just in case” and never saw a single interesting bird :ROFLMAO:

.... :D So typical of wildlife - You never know when or what you are going to see next! Be prepared and hope that Lady Luck is by your side.

I used several sorts of kneepads, but with all of them I found that the elastic straps were uncomfortable and they kept slipping down so I had to keep adjusting them. For some time now I've been using workmen's trousers with built-in kneepads (and also lots of pockets/pouches which I find very useful for spare batteries and other bits and pieces).

1783 1 Photography trousers by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

1783 2 Photography trousers by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

1783 3 Photograph trousers kneepads by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

Back