Eyefi Cards for Events

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,
Is there anyone here that uses Eyefi Mobi cards for wireless shooting into Lightroom at events? Is there any other hardware required to set up the connection and would you need access to the venues wifi?

The eyefi mobi card has its own adhoc wifi network so you don't need the venues wifi. I do use it for events, it can be slow so I save my files as jpg low res small and RAW, the eyefi card is setup to send only the jpg files.

They will save to a folder on your laptop which you can specify, then in Lightroom, open the auto import settings and set the watched folder to the same as the eyefi import.

It's a simple setup that works well, much better than having trailing cables around events.

Thanks Mark. I thought that was how they worked but wanted to be sure [emoji106]

The range isn't so great though compared to a dedicated wireless transmitter - so keep that in mind.

The range isn't so great though compared to a dedicated wireless transmitter - so keep that in mind.

i experimented with a portable wifi bridge which easily fit in my pocket to overcome the range problem and it did work but it also slowed down the file transfer quite noticeably

this was using it through my own router around the house iv'e not tried the same set up adhoc yet but it might cure the speed problem if i don't stray too far away from the laptop

If you're shooting pretty close to the laptop I don't suppose it'll be a problem at all :) - but if expecting to wander about and transfer - might be more of a challenge...

If you're shooting pretty close to the laptop I don't suppose it'll be a problem at all :) - but if expecting to wander about and transfer - might be more of a challenge...

when using a canon dslr and the wifi sd card in a cf adaptor the range was literally a few yards ad hoc to the laptop but with the portable bridge it should extend that range considerably
the biggest problem was the dslr was shielding the wifi signal but with the help of the bridge that should get rid of the stumbling block

like i said not tried the laptop with the portable bridge yet

the wifi sd card is not a new idea i had a sandisk one for a mobile phone sometime around 2004 with a whopping 256mb of memory called an sd io card i still have it somewhere
unfortunately they wern't that good either :(

2906.jpg

Back