Eyepiece Correction Lenses

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Howdy knowledgeable ones :)

Last weekend I was having trouble seeing through the viewfinder of my Nikon D750 due to the fact that the sun was very bright and my glasses, which have reactive lenses, had darkened so much. In fact I almost walked into a picnic bench!

I thought I would adjust the diopter on the camera and shoot without my glasses but guess what - the diopter doesn't have enough adjustment and everything was blurred. Nikon do a range of correction lenses but I'm unsure whether I need to get one to cater for my near vision or far vision - and they are a long way apart. My prescription is +5.00 for near and +2.75 for far.

I've emailed Nikon support but their answer if far from clear so I thought I would ask here in the hope (or expectation) that someone has had this problem and knows the answer.

Thanks in advance :)

Limited magnification but how about this

Hi Gramps,

That's exactly what I'm looking at (although the one you linked to doesn't fit the D750) but I don't magnification value one to get. Also, they're cheaper than that direct from Nikon :)

My quandry is do I get one to match my near or far prescription?

Can you even get one to +5 ... I though +2 something was the max.

Surely it would be easier to get another pair of ordinary specs

Can you even get one to +5 ... I though +2 something was the max.

No, the highest Nikon make is a +3, but as the viewfinder is already +1 that makes +4. But do I need that or do I need a +2 for my near vision?

Surely it would be easier to get another pair of ordinary specs

Quite possible easier, but definately not cheaper. £280+ for a pair of non-reactive varifocal glasses vs £20 for a corrective lens.

As the say ... you do the math?

I have a pair of single focal length spectacles which I wear when editing on my computer, but when I wear them I can't read the display on the back of the camera - my arms aren't long enough :)

No, the highest Nikon make is a +3, but as the viewfinder is already +1 that makes +4. But do I need that or do I need a +2 for my near vision?
If you use your varifocals, are the viewfinder image and the data displays sharp using the distance section of your glasses, or do you need to use the reading section?

what happens when you want to view the back of your screen or chimp.. if you dont have your glasses on ? I guess it depends on the type of photography you do and how much time you ahve to keep putting them on and off

having worn glasses all my life.. getting bifoculs was the best thing i ever did for photogrpahy and my eyes :)

Can you not cope with single vision ,from £25 at specsavers

You can get what are known as Occupational glasses
Lot of people have them so they can for example read at a normal distance then look up and use a computer screen

Might work if the diopter correction you need isn't available

If you use your varifocals, are the viewfinder image and the data displays sharp using the distance section of your glasses, or do you need to use the reading section?

I think you may have solved this riddle for me :) When I look through the viewfinder at the scene in front of me I am using the distance section of my glasses. The AF area brackets are nice and sharply in focus. To see the settings data at the bottom of the viewfinder I look down through the reading portion of the glasses and that is very slightly out of focus - still pefectly readable but not 100% sharp.

In the camera manual it says that you should adjust the diopter until the AF area brackets are in focus so that suggests it's the distance vision that is being corrected. If that's the case then a +2 correction lens should do the trick as that gives a +3 prescription correction.

Cheers Retune :)

what happens when you want to view the back of your screen or chimp.. if you dont have your glasses on ? I guess it depends on the type of photography you do and how much time you ahve to keep putting them on and off

having worn glasses all my life.. getting bifoculs was the best thing i ever did for photogrpahy and my eyes :)

I tried bifocals several years ago and couldn't make them work for me but I took to varifocals like a duck to water. I'm not someone that feels the need to look at every image on the back screen but without my glasses it is pretty blurred.

I believe viewfinder optics are set for a simulated eye-focusing distance of one metre. I don't know if this is a universal truth, but it sounds logical.

I believe viewfinder optics are set for a simulated eye-focusing distance of one metre. I don't know if this is a universal truth, but it sounds logical.

Hi Richard, Yes, it would appear that most viewfinders are indeed set up this way and that was part of the reason I was confused about whether I needed to correct for my far or near vision :)

Hi again folks,

I inadvertently had a Eureka moment this morning that I think has resolved my issue ... without costing me a penny :)

I was editing on my PC (wearing my single focus glasses) when Mrs Bristolian called me to look at two squirrels playing chase in the garden. Not wanting to miss a photo opportunity I grabbed my camera and went to stand in the kitchen doorway, where there is a good view of the back lawn.

When I put the camera to my eye I realised I hadn't reset the diopter after playing around with it yesterday so I quickly adjusted it so that the AF area brackets were nice and sharp. After taking a number of pictures the squirrels got fed up of tearing around the garden and headed off back to the trees behind the house.

Back in the computer room I realised that I was still wearing my single focus glasses and was able to use the viewfinder, view images on the rear screen and, equally important, read the information in the top screen too. My eyesight has changed just enough in the past year that what was once blurred slightly is now clear. The glasses were originally set to allow me to see the PC screen clearly when I sat 1.5m back from it and I hadn't realised I had been slowly getting closer as my eyesight changed.

My single focus glasses have now become an important part of my camera gear :)

They also have the advantage that the will be corrected for astigmatism. While camera correction lenses would not be

Back