Eyes Are Going - Please Critique

Name
Duncan
Edit My Images
No
I'm getting old folks and my eyes are going. Could you please help me out with critique of the sharpening of this image? I've given it a light sharpen with Topaz AI and 15% unsharp mask, both in PhotoShop CC. To me it looks about right but I'm wavering. Nikon ZF plus Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 AF-D at about f/2.8. Many thanks for your kind input.

85-1.4-7-copy.jpg

The 2nd image looks better and more natural to me.

However, controversial, if it was me and taking a static image using the gear you have, I do not think I would add any sharpening to the image.

Personally I can't see any difference. Overlaying one image on top of the other in Photoshop and masking half of the image the difference is negligible.

Personally I can't see any difference. Overlaying one image on top of the other in Photoshop and masking half of the image the difference is negligible.
I can see a very noticeable difference, look at the stonework.

OK, so this is another shot. Same lens and body. I see no reason to sharpen this at all, so this is SOOC and just resized. On these images I have no problem with anyone re-working them. I'm trying to get a formula for PP which is comfortable for everyone viewing. I've always trusted my eyes but I no longer can, it seems so I'm relying on other eyes to help me out. Nothing worse than producing over-sharpened images.

85-1.4-9 copy.jpg

Ok so the ZF uses a range of different sharpening values depending on what colour profile you select. Look at your sliders in LR or PS and you will see a radius of 2.0 which is ridiculously high, that's the baked in Nikon wisdom !!! When using the camera matching profiles Flat is the best option, note it will look washed out and well, flat, until you make adjustments but it's a good starting point, adjust the radius to 1.2.

Back