F-Stop Bags

Tried a couple of F Stop bags that fellow togs own and they're definitely the best of the bunch when it comes to a backpack which is useful for hiking etc. TBH though they're far too expensive and the strap systems are still nowhere near as good as a dedicated hiking backpack.

I've found one of the Lowe Alpine packs ( http://www.lowealpine.com/airzone-pro-45-55) with the side entry pocket, fitted with a removable insert works much better, especially for carrying a fair bit of weight for any length of time, it also works out quite a bit cheaper so win-win as far as I'm concerned

Simon

Last edited:
Hi Simon. What inserts do you use?

And are you able to attach a tripod?

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't go to London - Give them a ring at either of the Paramo stores London or Wadhurst - order over phone ... you are protected by the Distance Selling Regs if you don't like or it isn't big enough send it back ....

Here's a few more reviews:

f-stop-kenti-photography-backpack-review/

youtube.com Review

Thanks so much for posting those links, McShug. The Dan Carr review is enough to tell me that the Kenti is too small for my needs. Camera kit - yes; but other gear - waterproof, fleece, overtrousers, flask, sarnies, bits and bobs...... they just wouldn't fit.

Hi Simon. What inserts do you use?

And are you able to attach a tripod?

I use 2 large padded inserts that I bought off Ebay, one fits inside the other for loads of protection and then it's strengthened with some 1mm aluminium sheet so that it holds it's shape perfectly. The Lowe Alpine bag I've linked is perfect for carrying a tripod centrally on the front using the webbing you see in the photos, by far the best solution I've founding for a good quality/comfortable hiking setup.. I'm surprised none of the hiking backpack manufacturers haven't made a camera type bag, they'd make a killing IMHO

Simon

I use 2 large padded inserts that I bought off Ebay, one fits inside the other for loads of protection and then it's strengthened with some 1mm aluminium sheet so that it holds it's shape perfectly. The Lowe Alpine bag I've linked is perfect for carrying a tripod centrally on the front using the webbing you see in the photos, by far the best solution I've founding for a good quality/comfortable hiking setup.. I'm surprised none of the hiking backpack manufacturers haven't made a camera type bag, they'd make a killing IMHO

Simon

The Fstop bags are petty much hiking camera bags

Simon

Cheers Simon - im off to gooutdoors to have a nose. I popped into the local camera shop and had a look at the newer Lowepro rucksacks, and while they are an improvement, the frame / straps are nowhere near as good as on a 'proper' backpack. In fact even the Fstops don't look as good. Id like to see the Kata bag i lnked above in the flesh, but think my bes route is a proper backpack with side or front access.

One thing the local shop had was this tiny low backpack, and a pouch that i am considering using as an icu:-

http://store.lowepro.com/backpacks/photo-traveler-150

http://store.lowepro.com/toploading/toploader-zoom-45-aw

Simon

Hi Simon,

Had a look at (then bought...) the lowepro 35-45 pro on the way home. It also has a side pocket, and my retrospective 5 fits in perfectly, so no need to buy an icu. Dead chuffed with the pack - and a lot cheaper than an fstop (at £90). Also happy with the adjustable airframe back, pockets on the straps / belt and the fact it comes with a rain cover.

Hi Simon,

Had a look at (then bought...) the lowepro 35-45 pro on the way home. It also has a side pocket, and my retrospective 5 fits in perfectly, so no need to buy an icu. Dead chuffed with the pack - and a lot cheaper than an fstop (at £90). Also happy with the adjustable airframe back, pockets on the straps / belt and the fact it comes with a rain cover.

Glad you found the info useful, the mesh pocket inside the flap is perfect for storing bits and bobs too. You'll find the airflow back great in summer too... Think I should contact Lowe alpine and setup a joint venture ;-)

Fantastic piece of kit,well thought out. I purchased direct, on line . Posted from European warehouse in Holland,very quick service and price.Loka exceptionally well built.

Love my Tilopa, only use it for skiing, but it's absolutely perfect, got a medium sloped ICU in there so I can fit all necessities, food, shovel, extra clothes, gloves, hat, goggles helmet etc, and still have a ton of space left over.

Oh and being able to strap skis and a tripod securely is a godsend.

That being said, it's large enough that I wouldn't ski aggressively with it, so when I'm just skiing for fun I'll take a smaller bag, but of course that's not what it's made for.

Another company makes similar bags but with an "ICU" that slides around your body when you want, this would be even better than the f stop ones, but they're more than good enough IMO, think it's mindshift 180 or something?

Magnus said:
Love my Tilopa, only use it for skiing, but it's absolutely perfect, got a medium sloped ICU in there so I can fit all necessities, food, shovel, extra clothes, gloves, hat, goggles helmet etc, and still have a ton of space left over.

Oh and being able to strap skis and a tripod securely is a godsend.

That being said, it's large enough that I wouldn't ski aggressively with it, so when I'm just skiing for fun I'll take a smaller bag, but of course that's not what it's made for.

Another company makes similar bags but with an "ICU" that slides around your body when you want, this would be even better than the f stop ones, but they're more than good enough IMO, think it's mindshift 180 or something?

Yeah it's a ThinkTank project, Mindshift Gear Rotation 180

My only reservation about them is that they open at the back. That might be great for security but if I was spending that much money on a bag I'd be looking for one where accessibility was improved, rather than made worse.

I find it alot easier to place my Loka flat on the ground and access it from the back rather than the other way round whereby the bag would be sitting on the straps (which then get wet, muddy etc). I also find the back-access allows a raincover to be used constantly without it getting in the way.

I find it alot easier to place my Loka flat on the ground and access it from the back rather than the other way round whereby the bag would be sitting on the straps (which then get wet, muddy etc). I also find the back-access allows a raincover to be used constantly without it getting in the way.

Yeah, that's the way they're meant to be used.

I'm still looking for the perfect bag. That Mindshift Rotation Pro 180 mentioned above is one hell of a bag, judging from the reviews. Can't help thinking it's just a little bit OTT, though.......

http://dancarrphotography.com/blog/2013/04/05/mindshift-gears-new-rotation-180-pro-full-review/

Yeah, that's the way they're meant to be used.

I'm still looking for the perfect bag. That Mindshift Rotation Pro 180 mentioned above is one hell of a bag, judging from the reviews. Can't help thinking it's just a little bit OTT, though.......

http://dancarrphotography.com/blog/2013/04/05/mindshift-gears-new-rotation-180-pro-full-review/

That is one brilliant review!

Like you, I have been on the look out for the "perfect backpack" and can't help but think that the Mindshift 180 is far too gimmicky and expensive for my liking.

It has clearly "lifted" some of the idea's from the Lowepro Pro Trekker AW series (the Top Pocket and Bladder sleeve to name just 2) and I would feel far too conspicuous using all the bits and bats. It is a bit too "go go Inspector Gadget"/Transformers for someone who is reluctantly approaching middle age!!

Andy

Fstop really need to improve their customer service.

I sent an enquiry mail on the 12th asking for stock confirmation of a micro icu. It took 4 days to get a response where it was confirmed in stock in europe. I placed my order on the 18th, waited a week with no response. I sent a mail last friday, getting a response the same day (yay!). Fstop confrimed again it was in stock and would be sent asap. Checked the status today, "awaiting fulfillment" (boo).

Lets hope the product is better than the service.

Just when I'm going to London anyway, I phone the Paramo shop in Covent garden -

"We have the Satori, the Guru and the Tilopa, and a few ICU's. Everything else is on a slow boat from China and should be here by the end of the month....."

:bang:

I went there last Saturday and they do have those bags in stock.

Fstop really need to improve their customer service.

I sent an enquiry mail on the 12th asking for stock confirmation of a micro icu. It took 4 days to get a response where it was confirmed in stock in europe. I placed my order on the 18th, waited a week with no response. I sent a mail last friday, getting a response the same day (yay!). Fstop confrimed again it was in stock and would be sent asap. Checked the status today, "awaiting fulfillment" (boo).

Lets hope the product is better than the service.

Thought id post an update. Following my post above, i decided to call them on the 30th sep. They promised to 'light a fire' to sort out their courier / warehouser (DHL in Ireland). I again heard nothing for a couple of days, and eventually got through to the owner. He promised i would get the ICU on Friday, and his promise was good.

Very happy with the product. As an fyi, the Micro icu holds all my micro four thirds gear:-

- Omd EM5 with half grip and 20mm attached
- 12-35
- 35-100
- 9-18
- 7.5mm fisheye
- 45mm
- battery grip

Having seen a couple of F-stop bags over the weekend, one possible snag with them, I thought, was that bits and bobs (clothing, torch, food, etc) might fall out when you unzip the bottom compartment to access your photo gear. Does anyone find this a problem?

Never had this problem because the bag is always lying flat on the floor. Could be an issue if you try and wrangle stuff out with the bag still attached to you...

Back