F Stop Pro ICU Small?

Name
Umm......................
Edit My Images
Yes
Is anyone using one and can recommend it?

I am getting a bit fed up with camera rucksacks that struggle to hold a jacket, drink and some food needed for a day in the mountains, along with the camera kit.

I have some good walking bags, one with a separate bottom compartment that looks like the small ICU should fit, and give me loads of room in the top of the bag.

This will also take some of the weight off my good lady, who at times carries Sherpa-like quantities of food, drink, our jackets and various other kit, so it's time to do something.

I have considered the Manfrotto Off Road 30 litre pack, it looks good but the camera section is a bit restrictive in its layout.

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

I have the small pro ICU, it fits my 6D with 70-200 2.8 attached and then 24-70 too, there's enough room for another lens the same size as the 24-70

Yeah, it's quite padded, it fits the hoods in too, I'm pretty confident I will fit the 85 1.2 in as well. I thought about getting a second one then you have a lot more choice on how much stuff you take

I bought a Lowepro Slingshot 100 from the classifieds for 20 quid, butchered it with some strong scissors and a Stanley knife just leaving the camera storage section
Left the small front pocket attached for bits and bobs and kept the fold away waterproof cover for added weather protection when inside the rucksack
Works a treat as an insert in a normal rucksack and better constructed than most of the inserts I have seen.

Goes longways in an old Camelbak HAWG or width ways in a larger rucksack, just the job

Thanks Jonno, sounds like a good enough recommendation if you are thinking of a second one, and the size seems perfect for the bottom section of my bag.
TT - thanks for the reply, I have already tried butchered bag inserts and was never happy!
Now to find the cheapest supplier.

Have a search for 'camera bag inserts' on Ebay, too. I'm sure they could be tailored to fit an ordinary rucksack and leave lots of room for food, water and clothing.

Dave

I will look at that option tonight, thanks Dave.

TT - thanks for the reply, I have already tried butchered bag inserts and was never happy!

Fair enough David, but this method is the same as using a Lowepro Slingshot and many people use that bag for storage

I've got a small Pro ICU which I mainly use in a FStop Satori which leaves enough space for camping/bivi gear etc and have found it to be the perfect combination for long days/multiple days in the hills and mountains. Have also used the ICU separately in a smaller Crux rucksack which works well but you do lose the versatility and access of the zipped rear back panel of the FStop rucksacks. I spent about a month on Skye in February/April, mostly in the Cuilin and can't praise highly enough the ICU and rucksack. The only thing to keep in mind is that the ICUs are not waterproof so I keep a dry bag handy to put it in should it rain and/or use a rucksack cover.

David get the wife a bigger rucksack she sounds very well trained.;)
Hoof.​

I've got either the 200f/2 and D800/35mm combo in there or D4s/85mm and D800/35mm in there easily.

Thanks Adrian and David, good advice that tells me it's what I need.

Hoof, I think I'll ignore your advice, sound as it was. They don't make bigger bags than the one I got for her anyway!

I have a micro ICU and a lowe pro rucksack with a side entry. The main issue I have is the speed of access - take the sack off, open the bag, remove the icu open the ice and then reverse the process. But it is a comfortable and safe way of carrying your equipment.

Hi Phil, That is how I am used to using the bag I have at present, I have to remove the bag as the entry zip is against my back when wearing it.

Bag comes off, open zip, retrieve camera, then reverse. The ICU in my walking bag will still have to be taken off, but the opening is on the outside.

Back