F1 - 2018 discussion

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Now that the 2017 season is out the way, it’s time to start looking forward to 2018.

Following the 20-round 2017 championship, the 2018 F1 calendar was scheduled to include one more race. This was despite the Malaysian Grand Prix dropping off the calendar at the end of 2017.

The loss of the Malaysian round was offset by the return of the French Grand Prix. Paul Ricardi, which lasted hosted an F1 race in 1990, was confirmed as the venue for France’s first grand prix for ten years.

And the championship also planned a return to the Hockenheimring, which had shared the German Grand Prix with the Nurburgring, though the latter last held its race in 2013.

A5997_ACB-311_A-4_DDE-_BD9_E-_E8_C7_E99_F130_C.jpg

https://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2018-f1-season/2018-f1-calendar/

I’ll be glad to see the end of the shark fin, and sad to see halo. Looking forward to seeing more Renault progression as I’d like to see both Spanish drivers do well.
I’ll be interested to see how Kubica does (if he does sign for Williams).
Overall though I’m more interested in seeing the 2018 IndyCar season with that gorgeous new aero kit.

It’s 116 days until Australia 2018 (or so the cool down room graphic said), but we should have an idea of the new cars performance in Feb.

CB599_B51-8_EDD-4_A8_D-954_A-646_F05_C5_C211.jpg

They're also included 360 cameras on the front of the car, hopefully they will do that Indy car camera spinny trick when people overtake

Not keen on the halo at all, would rather see that be forgotten and keep the shark fin than the other way round. Next season could be similar to this with regard to overtaking though, until they sort the aero rules to allow cars to get close to each other without wrecking tyres within a couple of laps it'll be a problem.

See Bernie is still cashing in as he owns Paul Ricard :)
Got to agree, don't like the halo and not sure how safe it will actually be in wet conditions with rain streaming from it. Will be interesting to see if Mercedes can sort out the aero issues when following other cars as I've got a feeling they may need to overtake the red ones a little more often next year.
Will the move to Renault bring a massive improvement to McLaren? They've been performing a lot better in the past few races, albeit well down on horsepower. I do hope so as I would like to see both McLaren and Williams back at the sharp end again. The danger for Williams is that they may not have the drivers next year. Stroll appears to be a well funded (very well funded billionaire Dad) journeyman driver and if they go the Kubica route for the other seat I fear it may not end well. Wish they would give Di Resta another chance.
Hoping to see more of a three way scrap next year with Red Bull being consistently more competitive but, as already pointed out, if you can't overtake on a lot of the circuits then it's down to qualifying and the start.

They are experimenting with microphones in the engine compartment to increase the noise for tv viewers
I would expect that wont be a success as it would drown out the babble from the "celebrity" commentators

Alfa Romeo are back next year.

More details

The Sauber F1 team has announced a new commercial and technical partnership with Alfa Romeo that will see the outfit rebranded for next season.

The deal is described as "multi-year" and will see the team re-named as Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team from 2018.

A tie-up between the Hinwil-based team and the Alfa name has been rumoured for some time as Fiat Crysler chief Sergio Marchionne has been keen to bring the Italian brand back into F1 for the first time since 1985.

https://drivetribe.com/p/alfa-romeo...ign=formula1&utm_medium=fb&utm_source=organic

multi year manufacturer deals are all the rage at the minute, didn't help McLaren though

it's a Ferrari engine though and marchionne will have double the opportunities to be disappointed now, it's nice for sauber but I can't see them rushing up the grid

multi year manufacturer deals are all the rage at the minute, didn't help McLaren though

it's a Ferrari engine though and marchionne will have double the opportunities to be disappointed now, it's nice for sauber but I can't see them rushing up the grid

2018 Ferrari power plant and I would presume direct Ferrari input on chassis now, I’d be surprised if they’re still as uncompetitive next year.

Remember back in the early 00's when Sauber were basically the Ferrari B Team? 2003/2004 I think? When they had Heidfeld and Raikkonen, there were pretty competitive, nice to see them still on the grid to be honest, I can't help but feel if it wasn't for the Sauber name that they wouldn't still be on the grid and would have folded like some of the newer "names".

Secondly, looks like another good day at the test for Kubica, I don't see whats going to stop him being in the Williams next year now.

So Ericsson stays in his seat even though the number of points he has scored has not troubled the Sauber bean counters.

So LeClerc and Ericsson. Interesting that Ferrari made the announcement.

Ferrari chairman Sergio Marchionne has announced that Marcus Ericsson and Charles Leclerc will race for Sauber in Formula 1 next season.

Ericsson had been in a fight with Antonio Giovinazzi for the second seat at Sauber, which will have closer ties with Ferrari next season thanks to a partnership with Alfa Romeo.

Although the initial idea of an Alfa Romeo team was triggered because Marchionne wanted a proving ground for young Italian racers, Ericsson's close ties with Sauber's owners eventually won out.

The announcement was made at the launch of the new Alfa Romeo partnership in Italy on Saturday, when Marchionne confirmed the expected news that Leclerc will be stepping up to F1 after a dominant campaign in F2.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/133396/leclerc-and-ericsson-to-race-for-sauber-in-2018

Nice looking colour scheme.

Sauber unveils concept Alfa Romeo livery for 2018
2018 F1 seasonPosted on 2nd December 2017, 13:13Author Keith Collantine

Sauber has given the first glimpse of how its Alfa Romeo branding could look when it is backed by the engine manufacturer in the 2018 F1 season.

The team revealed a largely blank white car with a red Alfa Romeo engine cover in an event at the Museo Storico Alfa Romeo in Italy, where it also confirmed its driver line-up for next season.

sauber-alfa-romeo-2018-livery-concept-2.jpg

https://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/12/02/sauber-unveils-concept-alfa-romeo-livery-2018/

Looks like no fairy tale return for Robert Kubica sadly, with Sirotkin looking likely to take the Williams seat.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/133521/sirotkin-favourite-to-get-2018-williams-drive

It is believed Sirotkin brings substantial backing with him - understood to be in the region of £15million - from Russia's SMP Racing, which was founded by Boris Rotenberg, who controls SMP Bank.

Should the deal fall through, former Toro Rosso and Red Bull driver Daniil Kvyat is believed to be the back-up option.

So it’s a paid for seat, plain and simple.

Apart from one performance in the wet... even palmer could get the Williams further up the grid than stroll and that's saying something, to add another pay driver, Williams must just want to be a midfield team

There’s a piece on the BBC website about a call to get rid of the grid girls, That’ll take some unpicking .....

I wonder how much halo will affect drivers vision and react ion time.
Could there be unintended consequences?
Reaction time not at all. Vision, perhaps - I haven't sat in an F1 car with or without the halo so don't know what the difference would be. My feeling is that it is placed in a way that will not block the view of the track or the cars on it.

There’s a piece on the BBC website about a call to get rid of the grid girls, That’ll take some unpicking .....
Wonder if the "grid girls" have been consulted on this. Raises the question as to what constitutes their supposed exploitation.

Whats on tele

Race Date Live on
Australian Grand Prix March 23-25 Sky
Bahrain Grand Prix April 6-8 Sky/ Channel 4
Chinese Grand Prix April 13-15 Sky
Azerbaijan Grand Prix April 27-29 Sky/ Channel 4
Spanish Grand Prix May 11-13 Sky
Monaco Grand Prix May 25-27 Sky/ Channel 4
Canadian Grand Prix June 8-10 Sky
French Grand Prix June 22-24 Sky
Austrian Grand Prix June 29-July 1 Sky/ Channel 4
British Grand Prix July 6-8 Sky/ Channel 4
German Grand Prix July 20-22 Sky
Hungarian Grand Prix July 27-29 Sky
Belgian Grand Prix August 24-26 Sky/ Channel 4
Italian Grand Prix August 31-September 2 Sky
Singapore Grand Prix September 14-16 Sky/ Channel 4
Russian Grand Prix September 28-30 Sky
Japanese Grand Prix October 5-7 Sky/ Channel 4
United States Grand Prix October 19-21 Sky/ Channel 4
Mexican Grand Prix October 26-28 Sky
Brazilian Grand Prix November 9-11 Sky
Abu Dhabi Grand Prix November 23-25 Sky/ Channel 4

Have you guys seen the renders of the gen2 formula e car? Looks great. Now all they need to do is make them fast.

Have you guys seen the renders of the gen2 formula e car? Looks great. Now all they need to do is make them fast.
For the Tim burton abb formula e series? In all seriousness though, looks cool and I might watch it now they don’t have to swap cars half way through

Just be confirmed that they have been binned.

It’s on the BBC site now.

Formula 1: 'Grid girls' will not be used at races this season

Grid girls' will no longer be used by Formula 1 from the start of the 2018 World Championship season, organisers have announced.

Sean Bratches, managing director of commercial operations, said the change would be made "so as to be more in tune with our vision for this great sport".

F1 managing director of motorsports Ross Brawn told BBC Radio 5 live in December that the use of female promotional models was "under review".

The new F1 season begins on 25 March.

"While the practice of employing grid girls has been a staple of Formula 1 grands prix for decades, we feel this custom does not resonate with our brand values and clearly is at odds with modern day societal norms," Bratches added.

"We don't believe the practice is appropriate or relevant to Formula 1 and its fans, old and new, across the world."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/42890261

I bet that the sponsors will still have them wandering around; just not in shot or branded "F1".

No point in watching the race now...
:D

A comment (2506. Posted by scienceandreason) on the BBC comments page about Grid Girls made me chuckle.

"I've always said that grid girls need to be replaced by disabled gay vegetarians with gender identity issues..... glad to see its moving in that direction."

A comment (2506. Posted by scienceandreason) on the BBC comments page about Grid Girls made me chuckle.

"I've always said that grid girls need to be replaced by disabled gay vegetarians with gender identity issues..... glad to see its moving in that direction."

There's a job opportunity for me...

Never confused... [/publandlord]

The organisers of the FIA Formula 1 World Championship has confirmed the changes to be brought about in the race start times from the 2018 season onward, which means the races will now start 10 minutes past the hour.

The change in start time is to allow the broadcasters who usually start their programme at the top of the hour, thereby missing on the crucial build-up to the race start. With the races now starting 10 minutes past the hour, it will allow them to show everything within the schedule.

In addition, the start times for the European races along with the Brazilian Grand Prix has also been changed after research indicated of wider audiences during late afternoons. As a result of which, all the sessions during the above races weekends will be moved back by one hour.

593_B7047-6_D79-4888-830_E-30_BA7_C7999_ED.jpg

https://drivetribe.com/p/formula-1-...ZR2yTI6bQWOzrk8gDw?iid=A4I3KAAPTpypLEBEWyvLVQ

Grid girls to be replaced by grid kids and their family gets a paddock pass too

Grid girls to be replaced by grid kids and their family gets a paddock pass too

The grid kids have to be active in motorsport to be considered.

Motor racing-Formula One to use "grid kids" in place of female models

The sport's owners said in a statement that the new arrangement, in partnership with the governing FIA, would "make the pre-race ceremony more relevant and interesting for fans, especially the younger ones".

It said the youngsters would be selected by their motorsport clubs on merit, or by lottery, from among those already competing in karting or junior series.

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/formula...place-of-female-models_sto6513539/story.shtml

Grand Prix Driver on Prime is interesting viewing.

It was interesting knowing what we know now, about Eric thinking alonso was going to leave, the anger on the technicians faces every time Honda didn’t get it right, which was often. It was basically an advert for stoffel though

Back