F1 compact?

Name
scott
Edit My Images
Yes
Morning gang!
I'm off to the Spanish grand prix in May and they don't allow slr's into the ground so looking to get a compact.. what would you recommend for around say £300 ? New or second day hand! Something with a good zoom would be cool..

Morning Scotty - Not 100% sure about Spain but I've been to Spa the last couple of years and n issues whatsoever about getting the bigger kit in. Would have thought it would have been a blanket set of rules to cover all GP's as far as possible.

It doesn't look official though, informative and helpful but not official but I've been to the British Grand Prix and had no problems with my gear either, for personal use you are ok I would assume, can you not email the track and just ask?

Things must have changed, back in the "last days" of film I took an SLR and 200mm in no problem at all - although they did confiscate our beer at the gate!

At every Grand Prix I've been to, there's been loads of amateur photographers with big lenses. It's the nature of the beast. I'd agree with the above - they're looking for cans of beer at the gate, not big lenses!

At every Grand Prix I've been to, there's been loads of amateur photographers with big lenses. It's the nature of the beast. I'd agree with the above - they're looking for cans of beer at the gate, not big lenses!

I forget which track it is but there's a race each year where the TV cameras show a grass bank full of amateurs with DSLRs and big lenses, panning with the cars as they go past. It's enough of a spectacle that they often show them all 5 or 6 times or more during the race.

I normally go to testing at the track and even on their tickets it says the same about camera/videoing equipment.
I always taken my equipment.
Last time I was there I took.
D7100 , 70-200 150-500 and a monopod.
They are definitely only looking for alcohol on those days.

Great track to view the testing on thou.

Thanks to all the above for the replies.... I think I'll take my kit and try it, we have hired a car so if I get turned away I can drop it in the car, with this in mind I'm still thinking do I get a compact too just I case! Maybe handy with us being there all week it will save me hauling the dslr ....

I wish it was mate but from what I have read here..... you're not allowed without permission.

https://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/events/f1/barcelona-grand-prix.html
From someone who's attended F1 all over the world, this is BS. F1 allows any equipment in, you can bring anything n you want, their only terms are that the photos are for personal use and will not be sold or used in any way commercially. Take your DSLR and the biggest lens you can find!

Even though its moot now, but to answer your original question, I tried using a Sony RX100 (one of the best compacts you're likely to come across) to shoot practice for the 2015 Singapore GP (I was travelling all over at the time and didn't have my DSLR) and it was pretty hopeless at trying to capture fast moving F1 cars :)

It doesn't look official though, informative and helpful but not official but I've been to the British Grand Prix and had no problems with my gear either, for personal use you are ok I would assume, can you not email the track and just ask?
Its not the track that governs this, its F1. Part of hosting the event means the track has to conform and comply with the rules and entry conditions set by the FOA / F1 and it's commercial rights holders, and that means they cannot impose their own entry rules for the event.

Its not the track that governs this, its F1. Part of hosting the event means the track has to conform and comply with the rules and entry conditions set by the FOA / F1 and it's commercial rights holders, and that means they cannot impose their own entry rules for the event.

I always thought that commercial rights were bernies/cvc/whoever but personal use is ok, that's why that greenpeace protest banner didn't get any coverage whenever they tried to delay the start. I still think an email to the track hosting the event should be able to say very clearly if they're allowed or not. I personally would take my camera, I don't think I've ever watched a race and not seen lenses in the crowd but it's up to you.

I always thought that commercial rights were bernies/cvc/whoever but personal use is ok, that's why that greenpeace protest banner didn't get any coverage whenever they tried to delay the start. I still think an email to the track hosting the event should be able to say very clearly if they're allowed or not. I personally would take my camera, I don't think I've ever watched a race and not seen lenses in the crowd but it's up to you.

On the rear of my f1 tickets (various tracks over the few years) the same is printed on each one - that any photography is permitted as long as it's not for commercial purposes - the tracks themselves can't change this, but I guess they could confirm it for the OP if he doesn't trust this?

Last edited:
Back