F1 from Silverstone

Name
Jonny
Edit My Images
No
Hi All,

Made the annual pilgrimage again... here's some from the cheap seats, as usual all from general admission ... It was tough this year, light, ad hoardings and crowds but same for everyone I guess

C&C most welcome...

1. Lewis at Speed (Colour Matching)
Lewis Hamilton by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

2. Danny K up close
Daniil Kvyat by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

3. A new guy in the red car
Sebastian Vettel by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

4. Gasly Marmite
Pierre Gasly - DAMS by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

5. Tickets, tickets, buy and sell tickets.... any tickets...
Tickets, buy and sell tickets, tickets by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

6. Williams were close to doing something great... but didn't
Valtteri Bottas - Williams Mercedes by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

7. LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
Fernando - McLaren Honda by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

8. Crowd Pleaser
Daniel Ricciardo - Red Bull Racing by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

Thanks folks ...few more here, which I'm sure will fill up as the days go by..

Last edited:
These are stunning pics.

Im a big fan of that first shot, and as usual, the rest of the shots are excellently taken and processed. You make me want a) a 1.4x for my current set up and b) to brush up my processing drastically
Really well done mate

Im a big fan of that first shot, and as usual, the rest of the shots are excellently taken and processed. You make me want a) a 1.4x for my current set up and b) to brush up my processing drastically
Really well done mate
Thanks Matty :) I use a decrepit old non DG sigma 1.4x ... it vignettes pretty badly on the 400 5.6 and the auto focus reliability is much reduced... that said when it works it has very little effect on IQ. I'd be interested in seeing how well one of Canon's new TCs would work ...it's all getting a bit too pricey though, I think I need to get paid for photography before pouring any more money into this hobby of mine :)

Processing is pretty straight forward... if you want any advice just drop me a message :)

As usual, stunning shots with number 1 being my favourite. Great job.

Really nice set there! I'm so bad I've not even put my card into my PC yet, must get on and see my results at the weekend.

#1 stunning picture.
#7 and particularly #8 the angle on the image is far too acute for me... Silverstone isn't that hilly :D lol

Lol thanks... Angles are always divisive but my personal opinion is it tends to make for a better print as it fills the space better ( and hides some of the ugly backgrounds and track furniture)

Fantastic set Jonathon. I'd pick #1, #2 and #6 as my favourites from what you've posted here.

Simon.

Excellent shots there, very well done....

#1's my favourite... Looking through flickr I can see you used a monopod for that shot? How do you find them? I've often thought about using one but think that they might be get in the way more often that not. Also, I suspect it's important to be on a level section of track where the cars passes by perfectly horizontal in relation to the camera.

Really like the head on close-ups as well, were 2,3 6,7 & 8 shot from the outfield looking through the fence towards Becketts?

#1 is an absolute cracker. #5 is also a good story teller. I like #2 as well. Great set.

Im an admirer of your panning Jonny and these don't dissapoint, love the speed in #1, and sharpness at 1/15th impressive too. Colour coordination on car & background is nice bonus. The 3/4 shots are good too, I find it difficult to pan when car is coming towards you on a bend following it in one direction then another.

As usual, stunning shots with number 1 being my favourite. Great job.

Thanks very much, I appreciate the feedback :)

#1 for me. Amazing shot.

Thank you :)

Really nice set there! I'm so bad I've not even put my card into my PC yet, must get on and see my results at the weekend.

Hey it's all good we have the luxury of time in the cheap seats :) hope you got some good ones, thanks for the feedback :)

Fantastic set Jonathon. I'd pick #1, #2 and #6 as my favourites from what you've posted here.

Simon.

Cheers Simon

Jonathan thank for sharing these images #1 is my favourite.

Glad you like it, thanks

Excellent shots there, very well done....

#1's my favourite... Looking through flickr I can see you used a monopod for that shot? How do you find them? I've often thought about using one but think that they might be get in the way more often that not. Also, I suspect it's important to be on a level section of track where the cars passes by perfectly horizontal in relation to the camera.

Really like the head on close-ups as well, were 2,3 6,7 & 8 shot from the outfield looking through the fence towards Becketts?

Thanks, I always use a monopod as a rule, doesn't really get in the way (as far as I can tell, my neighbours may argue). It helps rule out any shaky hands on my end... its become an extension of my camera to be honest, doest have to be level either, panning diagonally is pretty straight forward once you get used to it. All shots are from the outfield, none from Becketts though... 2+7 are from the exit of luffield, 3, 6,8 are exit of club ... 1 + 4 are infront of the BRDC at Brooklands

#1 is an absolute cracker. #5 is also a good story teller. I like #2 as well. Great set.

Appreciate the feedback.. my friends will be happy you like #5 :) Thanks

Im an admirer of your panning Jonny and these don't dissapoint, love the speed in #1, and sharpness at 1/15th impressive too. Colour coordination on car & background is nice bonus. The 3/4 shots are good too, I find it difficult to pan when car is coming towards you on a bend following it in one direction then another.
It's all just luck and a decent AF system Neil.. I'm just a meat bag pressing the button at the end of the day :D

Thanks very much, I appreciate the feedback :)

Thanks, I always use a monopod as a rule, doesn't really get in the way (as far as I can tell, my neighbours may argue). It helps rule out any shaky hands on my end... its become an extension of my camera to be honest, doest have to be level either, panning diagonally is pretty straight forward once you get used to it. All shots are from the outfield, none from Becketts though... 2+7 are from the exit of luffield, 3, 6,8 are exit of club ... 1 + 4 are infront of the BRDC at Brooklands

Thanks but forgive me for being a little dense... When panning diagonally, do you have something like ball head attached to the monopod so that you can change the angle of the body in relation to the monopod whilst the monopod stays perpendicular to the ground?. Or if i'm over thinking it, would you mind enlightening me a little on technique?

Thanks but forgive me for being a little dense... When panning diagonally, do you have something like ball head attached to the monopod so that you can change the angle of the body in relation to the monopod whilst the monopod stays perpendicular to the ground?. Or if i'm over thinking it, would you mind enlightening me a little on technique?

you can do that with a ball head... I just pivot around the monopod foot though (its screwed directly into the lens foot), it comes quite naturally after a while.. probably not official technique best practice, but it works all right for me :)

you can do that with a ball head... I just pivot around the monopod foot though (its screwed directly into the lens foot), it comes quite naturally after a while.. probably not official technique best practice, but it works all right for me :)

Thanks (y)

Top stuff as always, especially so given the constraints of an F1 weekend (which are considerable). Being a sucker for a pan I love #1.

It's a shame you don't have GPS as I always find your Silverstone stuff fascinating and I'm always intrigued by where you find locations, you find angles where others find frustration!

Top stuff as always, especially so given the constraints of an F1 weekend (which are considerable). Being a sucker for a pan I love #1.

It's a shame you don't have GPS as I always find your Silverstone stuff fascinating and I'm always intrigued by where you find locations, you find angles where others find frustration!

Thanks mate, really appreciate that :)

Yea geo tagging is an expensive add on for the 5d, happy to divulge locations though (think I did on a recent thread in the talk section) ;) I don't think there's any secrets hahaha I'm usually shoulder to shoulder with other togs... If I'm not, one or two usually pitch up and see what I'm looking at :)

It's especially funny when trying to do the arty through the obstacle stuff, all I hear is titters of laughter from other camera types walking past... Sometimes they even come over and tell me where I should be shooting instead. Not being funny I've got a big camera and a white lens, there is probably a reason I'm where I am other than documenting scaffolding :-/ I just have to nod and agree sometimes

nice set of images
Appreciate that mate, thank you

Spot on mate :)

Cheers Az

Quality as always Jonathan got to be the Lewis shot for me and thanks for the invite in Flickr (y)

Thanks Gaz, no worries if you find other folks with worthy stuff point them to the group :)

well done. No.1for me

Thanks Karen

Great images all round

Cheers Percy

Outstanding set - #1 is perfection!

Really appreciate the feedback Reinis, I wish I could deliver images up to your standards though!

9. Just a bonus shot for anyone who gets down here (I know its not really sharp enough)
Sparks Will Fly! by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

Thanks everyone for the feedback

Last edited:
What do I know about F1? Jack all actually. Have I done motorsport...yes
The reason I don't do more..they all look the same...just like cricket
Your posting....well...really great!!! Superb colour and all in focus..
what more could one want?
Catch breath and sit down
Excellent!!

Some amazing shots, wish mine from Silverstone were that good!
Thanks very much, it was a struggle this year.. the light was pretty horrible (only photographers, and maybe penguins, complain about bright sunshine)

#1 and #4 are superb!!
Cheers Stevie

What do I know about F1? Jack all actually. Have I done motorsport...yes
The reason I don't do more..they all look the same...just like cricket
Your posting....well...really great!!! Superb colour and all in focus..
what more could one want?
Catch breath and sit down
Excellent!!

Hahaha thanks for the high praise :)

1 and 6 for me…..1 couldn't really be any better.

Interesting to hear that you pan with a monopod….must give it a try!

Thanks very much, I keep hearing 'surprised about the monopod'... I thought that's what they were for (well in addition to giving your arms a break with giant lenses)?

Superb set. #1 was an absolute corker to start the thread with though.

Hahaha thanks, marketing 101... start well, tail off, try and end on something good :)

Good set

I'm going to have to get myself down for one of the practice days

Back