F1 Testing - Silverstone - 26/06/2008

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello,

Looking around, no real threads on this yet. Really enjoyed the testing today, traction control has made a genuine difference to the way the cars behave in the corner and it was good to see some opposite lock.

This is the first batch from my images, more will be coming on my website www.meangasoline.co.uk in the next day or so.

Comments and critique welcomed on the shots, all taken with a Canon 40d and either a 300mm f/4 L IS or 70-200 f/4 L.

1) Lewis Hamilton
Tom_F1%20628.jpg

2) Nick Heidfeld
Tom_F1%20356.jpg

3) Adrian Sutil
Tom_F1%20290.jpg

4) Timo Glock
Tom_F1%20431.jpg

5) Nick Heidfeld
Tom_F1%20442.jpg

6) Kimi Räikkönen
Tom_F1%20461.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Tom

Ohh just great stuff. I'm truly jealous as we don't even have an F1 race in the U.S. anymore. Although the Montreal race is only 5 hours away I couldn't make it this year.

No. 1 (Lewis) looks good.

Out of interest Tom do you use manual, or Tv / Av. And do you manual or autofocus?

Chris

40d's kicking out some great shots aint it, but what the hell is that ontop of the ferrari engine cover inlet.

what the hell is that ontop of the ferrari engine cover inlet.

The FIA's gone all religious in an attempt to improve its reputation:). Looks like recording equipment rather than aerodynamic aids. Some of the other teams look to be sporting similar kit.

Nice shots Tom. You've done well considering the distance these would have been shot at.

The cars have got rather ugly with all the aero kits on them, yes they may go faster but they look a bit odd to me. Incidentially which vantage point did you take these from. You're not using a huge lens and yet the cars pretty much fill the frame, are they cropped?

1 + 5 for me. nice sharp and colourful.

3 looks a little dull compared to the others and 4 looks quite blurred (assume that wasn't intentional!)

I'd be interested to know your thoughts on the 300mm F4. I have the 70-200 F4, considering the 300mm, but not sure if it's different enough?

what the hell is that ontop of the ferrari engine cover inlet.

it's a pitot tube - used to measure air speed. they are usually positioned on the nose, but they are sometimes repositioned even further above the turbulent air during test sessions.

A superb set of shots there Tom. I think #1 is my fave. I'm quit into the close-up shots at the moment. There's aslo some serious wheel blur, even at 1/640s!! Have the fins (?? the bit behind the drivers head) always been that square on the Force India car?

no 1 for me - great shot.

want to get my 40d out to a track soon!

Hello,

Thanks for the great comments, glad you enjoyed them :) In answer to a few questions:

No. 1 (Lewis) looks good.

Out of interest Tom do you use manual, or Tv / Av. And do you manual or autofocus?

Chris

The light was very changeable today, so I mainly shot in Av mode, although when panning this switched to Tv mode.

The cars have got rather ugly with all the aero kits on them, yes they may go faster but they look a bit odd to me. Incidentially which vantage point did you take these from. You're not using a huge lens and yet the cars pretty much fill the frame, are they cropped?

No crops, just careful positioning! Most of the shots were taken in the exit of club corner and going through the abbey chicane.

1 + 5 for me. nice sharp and colourful.

3 looks a little dull compared to the others and 4 looks quite blurred (assume that wasn't intentional!)

I'd be interested to know your thoughts on the 300mm F4. I have the 70-200 F4, considering the 300mm, but not sure if it's different enough?

Number 4 was intentionally blurred, the shot was actually taken at 300mm and 1/80 shutter speed. If you look at the image the helmet and cockpit is sharp but everything else is blurred showing the energy of the cars. I have a few more which are a bit more extreme and varied...was just trying a few things out.

The 300 f/4 is an awesome lens, nothing really else I want to say!

Love the first one, its a cracking shot. Great Set all round! :)

Light was definately a pain !

Really nice Tom

The light never stopped changing, did it?

1 & 2 are very nice but there's something about the shot of Glock

All galleries now online at www.meangasoline.co.uk, a few more this time of Sebastien Bourdais:

Formula_1_Testing_Silverstone_Gallery_3_26.JPG

Formula_1_Testing_Silverstone_Gallery_3_16.JPG

...and a final one, really just interested on general opinion, does the super slow shutter speed work?:

Formula_1_Testing_Silverstone_Gallery_1_23.JPG

Last edited:
it's a pitot tube - used to measure air speed. they are usually positioned on the nose, but they are sometimes repositioned even further above the turbulent air during test sessions.

Ah right cheers for that, :ty:

Back