f2.8 24-70mm lens.

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
I replaced my 24-70mm Canon f2.8 lens for a 24-105mm one. I am thinking of going back to a 24-70mm lens, anyone have any experience of the Tamron or Sigma f2.8 24- 70mm lens, I see that both these have the equivalent of IS which I want. (that is the reason I changed in the 1st place).
Of course there is also the reduced cost of them.

I have the Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 (not the G2) in Nikon format. It's a great lens but not the sharpest at f/2.8 and suffers a bit of vignette there too. Stop it down to f/3.2 or f/3.5 and things get much better on both fronts there. I've never used any other 24-70mm so can't compare.

As for IS, personally I don't really use it on that lens, I find the slight "swaying" a bit offputting at wide angles and it's quick enough that I can use reasonable shutter speeds in the sorts of conditions I shoot anyway. But it is there so if you need it then that'll be a plus for you.

First of all, why do you want to change from the 24-105 (assuming this is the 'L' spec lens for each referred to)? Secondly, the above two posts appear refer to lenses used on Nikon cameras, not Canon cameras; I would really want to see some reviews of these lenses using Canon DSLRs before I made my mind up enough to make a purchase.

First of all, why do you want to change from the 24-105 (assuming this is the 'L' spec lens for each referred to)? Secondly, the above two posts appear refer to lenses used on Nikon cameras, not Canon cameras; I would really want to see some reviews of these lenses using Canon DSLRs before I made my mind up enough to make a purchase.

I suppose you could say the reason for the swap back to a 24-70mm is because for one thing that is what I have always had and secondly I am not to sure about the sharpness of this 24-105mm I have. I only bought the 24-105mm as I need IS on a lens, I have not got the steadiest of hands. I know I could always use my tripod, but that is not always convenient.

I use a Tamron 24-70mm F2.8 VC (non G2) on my Canon 5D2. I bought the lens secondhand and have been very happy with it. I don't own and have never owned any Canon L lenses because of the costs, so I can't directly compare the performance of my lens with the Canon equivalent. I find the VC to be very effective on this lens, I'm happy with the images it produces and it balances well on the camera body. I suspect that it would not be as robust as the Canon and I would avoid using it in the rain. Most of the review sites seem to suggest that the Tamron is 90-95% of the Canon lens, but for a fraction of the price. All my FF Canon fit lenses are either Tamron or Sigma lenses, with the exception of the Canon 50mm F1.8.

I use a Tamron 24-70mm F2.8 VC (non G2) on my Canon 5D2. I bought the lens secondhand and have been very happy with it. I don't own and have never owned any Canon L lenses because of the costs, so I can't directly compare the performance of my lens with the Canon equivalent. I find the VC to be very effective on this lens, I'm happy with the images it produces and it balances well on the camera body. I suspect that it would not be as robust as the Canon and I would avoid using it in the rain. Most of the review sites seem to suggest that the Tamron is 90-95% of the Canon lens, but for a fraction of the price. All my FF Canon fit lenses are either Tamron or Sigma lenses, with the exception of the Canon 50mm F1.8.

Thanks for your reply.

Back