F5 - In demand?

Name
Simon Everett
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone know if F5s are still sought after...I don't see any for sale anywhere, not even on fleas are us.

Maybe depends on what the condition ios like. Tere are not many on flea bay at the moment but they are fairly common mopst of the time.

How much do you want for one?

There's normally a few on ebay so I'd keep checking back.

The current Nikon F6 is the latest incarnation of the F flagship series, and quite possibly the last. I have no knowledge of the F6, but I don't doubt it's the pinnacle of 35mm film SLR's. I owned an F4 and had quite extensive use of an F5 for a while, and found it to be pretty well the ideal 35mm film camera. Put it this way, if I still owned a lot of Nikon kit, and wanted to shoot the odd roll of film, I wouldn't be looking any further than the F5, and if I owned one, wild horses wouldn't drag it from my possession.

Cameras like the F5 will always be in demand, especially at the prices they go for now. If you're selling, I'd say don't even think about it, if you're buying, just be patient and wait for a nice one.

There are actually 9 F5s listed on ebay at the moment. If I was in the market, I'd be very interested in THIS ONE

Can you believe they still sell the f6 for almost 1500 quid. Blimey heapsmore than a d300 LOL

Can you believe they still sell the f6 for almost 1500 quid. Blimey heapsmore than a d300 LOL

Awesomely spec'd camera though, and just to put this in perspective, I paid £2000 for an F4 body only, about 12 years ago. The 1500 quid is actually a daft price for a body of that quality, but of course it's all down to lack of demand since the boom in digital bodies, and the reason why the F6 may well be the last 35mm SLR Nikon produce.

Yes of course i mean the f4 before digital was a pro spec camera.

I wouldnt say no to a f6-but hard on the mind when for a bit more could have the new d700 or a bit more again the d3.

wow i wish i were rich lol.

just wondering what will happen when nikon say thats it ,no more film cameras ,,f6 was the last ,will the price shoot up like the fm3a did ?

Interestingly or not but if you hunt around you can find the F6 for less than £1500 unless you want the extra MB-40 battery pack as well.

I have seen them on the 2nd hand market for as little as £850-£950 so in my mind that really is a bargin for a camera like that.

Considering I paid £1100 for a F4s body some 13 years ago and that was cheap :D

In many ways the F5 is still better than the F6, Gray's still have new ones in stock for £1499 each.

Nikki,
I see you have a range of the Nikon bodies! I have an F4s which i have owned from new too - box, original papers, manual everything. Even the original polythene bags it all came in inside the box! The F5 is in mint condition with the same kind of box and wrappings - including the original strap and a Nikon wide neck strap (horribe if it is windy).

I was thinking of giving the F4s to our local school, they do A level photography and could probably use a good body. I had an FA too - with the MD15, it was my work horse for years, I gave it to a friend who was just starting out in photography. He still has it, but doesn't use it. It is wrecked....made me almost upset when I saw the state of it last time I was round his place. The shutter priority system of the FA is what they could do with utilising omn the latest cameras, brilliant.

For those who don't know, the shutter priority on the FA would open up the aperture according to the light until it got to the widest available, then, rather than under-expose your frame it would take the gamble and start coming down the shutter speed for the available light. If you got camera shake you were no worse off than having an underexposed tranny. It was a superb system - and would cost nothing in terms of available computing power with the modern cameras.

Oh - how much for the F5 you asked.....I am not allowed to say on here, but it isn't really worth what those Grays of Westminster people are asking! I might just hang onto it for old times sake....unless someone came along that made it too expensive an ornament to keep!

Back