Fabric product photography - what a mess!

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, I am new here so treat me gently. :)

I am trying to take some photos of a product, so they can be sold on Amazon. But I am finding it very challenging. The best way I can illustrate what I mean is by showing two examples. A competitors good attempt and my horrible attempt.

My problems are partly due to the fact I am doing a bad job of getting the sides of the rolls of muslin to be straight, the same size etc.

Please note, I am using a OnePlus 3T for product photography and got myself a light tent, overhead light and 2 x side lights, with those daylight bulbs. No tripod for phone.

Any tips?

mine-vs-competitor-v1.jpg

Thanks,

Jon

Last edited:
I can't be of much help regarding product photography, but it looks like 'their' cloths have been wrapped around a solid tube or cylinder to make them look so uniform - maybe something you could try?

As said above, theirs is probably wrapped around a tube. Also looking at the size and position of the animals, they gave photographed a larger product thus capturing more animals.

They also have even lighting. Probably not a light tent.

A few things of note. As above theirs are ironed and the wrapped round something to make them uniform.

Yours also don't appear evenly lit. They look underexposed and like cut outs on a white background. I think theirs have been shot on light table as well as lit from above

Last edited:
I can't be of much help regarding product photography, but it looks like 'their' cloths have been wrapped around a solid tube or cylinder to make them look so uniform - maybe something you could try?

This, I've done this, Steam iron, to get everything flat then whilst hot/warm wrap around a large cardboard tube, ask at your local carpet store.
It looks like they've cut a piece of material to size and tucked the ends into the roll which gives a neat edge and uniform size.
Then it's just all about the light and lots of it.

Have you thought about a different approach altogether? Drape it over something, hang it up, tie it in a loose knot, etc.?

Some great recommendations guys. Will definitely try many of them!

I like the idea of getting a cardboard roll, cutting out some strips of product and have it wrapped around that roll, to get that straight edged look. Not sure how easy it is to achieve but I will give it a go.

Will also try some alternative approaches too. That is already on the todo list. Draping it over something is not something that I considered, so will add that to the list!

I didn't iron it. Think its my fear of doing laundry! :) But yes, great idea too.

Is it better to have a light table type thing instead of a light tent? I saw this on ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Photograp...012782?hash=item41994fb82e:g:~dsAAOSwjDZYdbZy

Maybe too small for my swaddle blanket photography? I have other product photography that I also need to do so maybe that's better for those other items, since they are smaller.

Please note that I do not have an SLR camera, only my mid-range Android phone. I do not know which are the weakest links in the chain for my setup. Maybe knowledge!

A perfect illustration of how professional photography is actually not a cost to the company at all.......if you were a punter and saw those two competing products, even if the 'theirs' was more expensive, which would you purchase?

Good photography can make or break a business - it is fundamental and until you know how to do it, you are losing sales. Get it done properly and get the sales that will then pay for the product photography - any professional worthy of the name is not going to divulge how to get you to take the bread from out of their mouth.

Never underestimate how much trickery (both Photoshop and otherwise ) goes into product photography. Theirs could very well just be a couple of layers stretched (or glued) onto a support. Plus any wrinkles etc can be Photoshoped out, and the edges shaped.

Can I ask a question please, what is the product?
At the moment it looks like a grotty piece of printed fabric with no indication of its end use, incidentally "Theirs " does not look much better.
I assume from one of your previous posts it is a swaddle blanket, which I assume is for wrapping babies?

1. Just because your competitor has his rolled doesn't mean you have too. Give them an iron and get creative.

2. Doesn't the manufacturer have professional product shots you can use?

EspressoJunkie, yes, it looks like a couple of layers wrapped onto tubes. Not sure how to Photoshop out wrinkles. I guess I could YouTube that?

Oliver Pohlmann, yes, I am currently using my mobile phone (blush).

troutfisher, the product is a swaddle baby blanket made of muslin. It is a thin material about 47" square. You are correct, it is for wrapping babies, although they can also be used as sunshades, protection of a surface by laying the baby on it, as opposed to wrapped, and more.

rjbell, 1. I agree. But I want the rolled version and many other versions too. Trying a version of tying a knot with them attached to a rail, hanging down. And more. Yes, they definitely need an iron. 2. I am a private labeler which means that they are my unique designs and so its up to me to product my own photography.

I got a lighting kit, a couple of softboxes. I didn't realise how bulky they would be! Anyway, I tried again with a few shots and I guess I am better at some things than others! I found doing product photography of boxes, tape etc much easier than fabric.

Couple of thoughts.
First get a photo of a baby wrapped in one and some other shots of what other uses they have.
Then get some spray mount and stick them to card,tubes or whatever,that way you will get the creases out.
Put simply mount the fabric like you would a photograph.
See if you have got a local camera club and see if you can get a retired tog to do it for the price of a pint

Last edited:
Hi There.
This is an interesting read. Seems like you are moving along with this.I am just a hobbiest so no expert. That said I would have thought it best if you bought a dslr even a cheap second hand one, as regards the lighting you bought was this flash or tungsten ? Only suggesting the dslr as it seems to me that you are making things harder than need be using the phone.

Gaz

Cut one down and wrap it round foam, when they show nicely folded material it's almost always done for eye candy and will be cut, shaped wrapped and rolled whatever way to make it look smooth.
Towels in places like Dunelm mills are quite often not full towels if they out of reach and will be half towels on wooden formers.
It's time to get your Blue Peter skills out.

Something else to consider, the competitors pattern is dense enough that the rolled display is sufficient to demonstrate the repeat - yours is a much looser pattern and the roll isn't doing you any favours. The roll shows so little of the pattern on yours that the density can't be determined and the fall of the motifs is awkward. The end result is that yours looks cheap compared to the other product, and always will when presented in this way. You need a presentation arrangement that better illustrates your patterns.

Back