Facebook - setting your location

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
How do I get Facebook to recognise where I live so local news etc is local to where I actually live and not where facebook thinks I live.

I have just reluctantly joined Facebook (yes I know, most people don't wait until they retire before joining), and irritatingly it thinks I Iive in Aylesbury (presumably something to do with my ISP, but as its based in Devon,and I live in Somerset, I'm not sure why this choice of location, normally ISP based recognition thinks I live in Exeter).

Anyway, I have ploughed through the Facebook help where there are dozens of similar complaints, from all round the world going back five years, and facebook hasn't responded to them, so maybe it can't be fixed.

But, on the off chance that someone here knows the answer, it would be nice to get to fixed.

Thanks

Replying to myself, but no further forward with this, However Facebook now thinks I live in North East Scotland (Forres), rather than Aylesbury. Even though all my details are for Somerset and my ISP is in Devon.

:-(

Probably picking up from the geolocation of your ip

Thanks, but I did suggest this in my OP , its in Devon and I have occasional issues with my location being identified as Exeter, but until Facebook, never Aylesbury nor Forres. But having on ISP in a location different to where you live is a common situation and one that other organisations seem to have resolved. But as I said its a long standing issue brought up in the facebook help, but with no solution, that I could find, offered by Facebook.

Is there nothing in a FB profile that says where you live?
Yes, there is, and once you add it to your profile, it gets added to a list of places (that auto- includes the wrong locations mentioned above) where you can select it as the location you want news and events from - but it makes no difference.

The fact it has no idea where you are is a good thing, surely. :banana:

The fact it has no idea where you are is a good thing, surely. :banana:
I hadn't thought of that :) . Now if I could only work out how to switch off Facebook posting all the irrelevant stuff about "local" events and "local" companies into my feed, I would be even happier.

Back