Factory at night

Matt Sayle

2017MSA Young Photographer of the Year(Motorsport)
Name
Matt Sayle
Edit My Images
Yes
20080901_5025.jpg

20080901_5022.jpg

20080901_5020.jpg

I like the 1st one best from a lighting point of view. It looks like the factory is leaning slightly to the left though if i'm being critical and it's a shame you cut off the building on the left. Still a very good shot though.

I like the 1st one best from a lighting point of view. It looks like the factory is leaning slightly to the left though if i'm being critical and it's a shame you cut off the building on the left. Still a very good shot though.

THank you very much. How the hell do I stop that. I ahve been trying for three nights to get in dead level to no avail :bang:

It's hard through a small viewfinder. I would try and ensure the line of the chimney is as vertical as possible and make the remaining adjustments on Photoshop. Where I normally go wrong is when i tighten the tripod head or dont secure the shoe tight enough to the camera and it moves sightly (amateur errors I know).

It's hard through a small viewfinder. I would try and ensure the line of the chimney is as vertical as possible and make the remaining adjustments on Photoshop. Where I normally go wrong is when i tighten the tripod head or dont secure the shoe tight enough to the camera and it moves sightly (amateur errors I know).

The tripod bit is where I will be going wrong!!

nice set of shots matt...you can straighten the verticals up in photoshop.go to image,rotate canvass...arbitrary,then enter the amount of degrees you think it needs straightening.i'm sure there will be other ways,but thats how i do it...

heres my effort matt..you will have to crop it afterwards,and in doing so i've had to remove your watermark,but you get the jist.this would normally be done before you add the watermark anyway...adjusted by 2 degrees clockwise......

20080901_5025.jpg

Great image, is it Ntwich? The colours are great and the composition is spot on. When I am doing my post prod, I try to make sure that the first thing I do is check if a vertical or horizontal is true. It's often difficult to find the right line and I can end up trying five or six in some cases. You can always tell if the correction makes things better or worse. In your image, I'd have gone for the chimney first up. If that's right then the rest should be. Looks great to me, well done.

Great image, is it Ntwich? The colours are great and the composition is spot on. When I am doing my post prod, I try to make sure that the first thing I do is check if a vertical or horizontal is true. It's often difficult to find the right line and I can end up trying five or six in some cases. You can always tell if the correction makes things better or worse. In your image, I'd have gone for the chimney first up. If that's right then the rest should be. Looks great to me, well done.

Yeah it is :)

Thank you very much!

Good shots Matt. I think 1 is my fave. I prefer the colours. I guess that's caused by the light on the right altering the exposure.

No.3 for me. The way that the light gives off a warm glow makes me want to go and visit the factory to see what is going on there. It also reminds me of the times when I was a student and worked night shift in a factory.

Love the first one Matt!

Does the star pattern on the light far right just happen naturally? And if so, why?

The first one is my Favorite, i really like the flare on the light.

With regards to getting straight images... i always use the auto focus points as a guide, especially if its a landscape then line them up with the horizon or other straight edge. I tend to get better results doing this but nearly always have to tweak a little to make it perfect.

Its good to note that you should aim to get this right in the camera and not rely on software, as if you straighten with software it will crop the image and thus you could lose some of the composition you have just spent ages pondering ;)

I like it but i think there a bit too much detail on the actual buildings to be visible in the photo, maybe closeup of one of the parts of the factory would be better?

i would add something in your left shoe that should straiten you up ;)

No 1 for me matey. Luvverley stuff, Northwich at its best but you should come to Crewe sometime and see the sights in a big town. :thinking::D

Andy

#3 for me.. it looks likes the best bits of 1 and 2

I really like the warm look of the building on the left and think the lights are exposed just to the right ammount.

Cant understand why the picture has no blur or light trail except on the lights at the bottom though.

Quite a view from your window.. I used to have a grainery near my house but not with that much of a view.

Great work Matt.
Excellent shots.
No 1 with 3 a close second.
Well done !

1st one is my favorite. I have always wanted to do this. good job.

No.3 for me. The way that the light gives off a warm glow makes me want to go and visit the factory to see what is going on there. It also reminds me of the times when I was a student and worked night shift in a factory.

Thank you!!

Love the first one Matt!

Does the star pattern on the light far right just happen naturally? And if so, why?

Thank you! Yeah it does for some reason, dont know what that is though!

With regards to getting straight images... i always use the auto focus points as a guide, especially if its a landscape then line them up with the horizon or other straight edge. I tend to get better results doing this but nearly always have to tweak a little to make it perfect.

Its good to note that you should aim to get this right in the camera and not rely on software, as if you straighten with software it will crop the image and thus you could lose some of the composition you have just spent ages pondering ;)

Thanks for the adivce.

Thank you!

I like it but i think there a bit too much detail on the actual buildings to be visible in the photo, maybe closeup of one of the parts of the factory would be better?

I get ya. Thank you for your input.

i would add something in your left shoe that should straiten you up ;)

:LOL:

No 1 for me matey. Luvverley stuff, Northwich at its best but you should come to Crewe sometime and see the sights in a big town. :thinking::D

Andy

Thank you!! Why would i want to do that :LOL:

#3 for me.. it looks likes the best bits of 1 and 2

I really like the warm look of the building on the left and think the lights are exposed just to the right ammount.

Cant understand why the picture has no blur or light trail except on the lights at the bottom though.

Quite a view from your window.. I used to have a grainery near my house but not with that much of a view.

Thank you!!

so your a northwich boy then matt, which college do you go to then? SJD or midcheshire?

Yup, Midspesh for me. I went for inductin today. It is like some sort of fugly convention.

Great work Matt.
Excellent shots.
No 1 with 3 a close second.
Well done !

Thank you!!

1st one is my favorite. I have always wanted to do this. good job.

Thank you.

i agree with these comments,and i also use the focus points to get the horizon level..i was just pointing out a fix should it go pearshaped..(y)

Yup, Midspesh for me. I went for inductin today. It is like some sort of fugly convention.

i went to SJD, some of the people from midcheshire who got onto it were frightening, some of them were the most narrowminded, moronic neanderthals ive ever seen, and the fact that some of them carried a box full of knives around was just worrying

i went to SJD, some of the people from midcheshire who got onto it were frightening, some of them were the most narrowminded, moronic neanderthals ive ever seen, and the fact that some of them carried a box full of knives around was just worrying

Emma is going there.

There are some 'characters' that is for sure:LOL:

Back