Russell
Edit My Images
Yes
46318519.jpg

Best viewed BIG

Comments appreciated

cheers

Last edited:
I'd have preferred it without the fence post and foreground twigs but a decent shot

Thanks for your comments guys, do 'they' not say to try and get a bit of foreground in the pic to add depth ?

Still learning

Russ

Thanks for your comments guys, do 'they' not say to try and get a bit of foreground in the pic to add depth ?

Still learning

Russ

Absolutely, but the post kills the shot in this case. Simply getting the camera lower often helps.

Phil

Still learning

Russ

Maybe if it was to the left, but being in the middle makes that the main focal point.

Nice shot anyway :)

Maybe if it was to the left, but being in the middle makes that the main focal point.

Nice shot anyway :)

I think you nailed it there mate....it wasn't totally central at first but i cropped a fair amount of 'bush' off the RHS so yeah see what your saying...i'll be back up there to try again, maybe when there's a bit more colour as well (y)

does this work any better ?

46322104.jpg

BIG

Actually no... probably not....maybe if i could of got the post to the left...re-shoot needed

Enjoyed reading through this thread, and also made me smile, remembering back to trying to get to grips with composition (many years ago)

The advice given is soundm, but I think the important bit has been missed, in that the forground interest should be interesting.

A half beaten old post probably isn't interesting enough.

But I do like where you are going with this, the scene has lots of potential, and I'm sure will improve on a re-visit.

Some "Foreground interest" might help but the fence post really isn't very interesting.

Have to kind of agree with Ulfric though as the picture doesn't do anything for me.

Last edited:
To me it seems an ugly snapshot.
Was it a trick?

Ha, thanks for your honestly :eek:...you'll never be shouting for 'diplomatic immunity' will you ? :p

I guess your probably right though, I'm seeing something in this pic that just isn't there, no matter how i crop it.

As the old saying goes 'you can't polish a turd' :D

Hey ho ...back to the drawing board :wave:

there are some much better scenes around fairburn ings, nip down to the visitor centre for your first ones, should be able to get good leading lines to the ings down the swan/duck feeding point... if you can get it when its empty even better!

for a first try your onto the right lines :) keep it up

Last edited:
there are some much better scenes around fairburn ings, nip down to the visitor centre for your first ones, should be able to get good leading lines to the ings down the swan/duck feeding point... if you can get it when its empty even better!

sorry, i posted this as the girlfriend... shes had a beating for leaving it left logged in on my machine :bang::bang::bang:

sorry, i posted this as the girlfriend... shes had a beating for leaving it left logged in on my machine :bang::bang::bang:

Cheers Claire/Chris

I'll be back down again soon, i did see that shot, but it was rammed everybody gawping at the dead swans all over the lake :crying:

Poor buggers are really struggling atm...we counted 5 dead while we were there.

Think about foreground interest this way...

1. As others have said it must be interesting... but i've used fenceposts before... they can be interesting... but only if complete... the top of anything is not foreground interest its something popping up into the shot... The foreground interest must be part of the essence of the scene you are trying to capture...

2. Try to lead the eye into the scene... use a road... a tree line etc etc... I find with your shot everything crossess the shot but does not lead you through the scene... they are like blocking lines.

3. Landscapes are all about exciting light... the light in your shot is not exciting... if the light is not exciting... shoot details or river shots... flowing water etc...

4. Use the rule of thirds (usually)... It works!

5. Get low sometimes but not all the time as you can often loose the depth of your scene

6. Dont always jump for a 24mm - 35mm lens range... sometimes 50mm is fine!

7. Be patient... look for details and walk walk walk...

8. Know about DOF and experiment with all your lenses... take test shots at dif apartures... make up some DOF charts for your camera and lens combo.

9. Tripod, hotshoe level and cable release!

10. Get technical... read read read until you understand the basic principals... if you need to think too hard about your techi stuff when your out you have not read enough... you should only be thinking the shot composition when your out!

And finally if everything comes together... god is on your sight with the light... then your shots will improve...

it wont help that 'look north' told everyone to go last weekend and feed them, i bet it was packed after they did that... poor birds will have been gorging themselves...

yeah saw that myself...that's what reminded me of the place (y)

Think about foreground interest this way...

1. As others have said it must be interesting... but i've used fenceposts before... they can be interesting... but only if complete... the top of anything is not foreground interest its something popping up into the shot... The foreground interest must be part of the essence of the scene you are trying to capture...

2. Try to lead the eye into the scene... use a road... a tree line etc etc... I find with your shot everything crossess the shot but does not lead you through the scene... they are like blocking lines.

3. Landscapes are all about exciting light... the light in your shot is not exciting... if the light is not exciting... shoot details or river shots... flowing water etc...

4. Use the rule of thirds (usually)... It works!

5. Get low sometimes but not all the time as you can often loose the depth of your scene

6. Dont always jump for a 24mm - 35mm lens range... sometimes 50mm is fine!

7. Be patient... look for details and walk walk walk...

8. Know about DOF and experiment with all your lenses... take test shots at dif apartures... make up some DOF charts for your camera and lens combo.

9. Tripod, hotshoe level and cable release!

10. Get technical... read read read until you understand the basic principals... if you need to think too hard about your techi stuff when your out you have not read enough... you should only be thinking the shot composition when your out!

And finally if everything comes together... god is on your sight with the light... then your shots will improve...

Cheers mark

Believe it or not (looking at this pic I know it's hard) I'm not a complete novice , i do have a few decent shots under my belt, just new to DSLR

I just got this one all wrong !

A bit too eager to get shots with my new camera i think and forgetting the basics

All your points are valid, and points i'll try to remember next time (y)

I remember why i thought i'd try this shot now....Déjà vu....

I took this a couple of summers ago

46372371.jpg

BIG

...I obviously never learn :bonk: :D

Back