Fairy Glen, Snowdonia

Dan - nice picture, and yes Fairy Glen (Ffos Noddyn in Welsh) is hard to photograph - that little segment of sky at the top is overexposed on most of my pictures. It's also a slippery, tricky place to get just the viewpoint you want. Worth revisiting when water levels are higher and lower. I like the way you can see right up the gorge (water must have been low-ish?) . You've selected an interesting shutter time, enough to show movement in the water but short enough not to 'streak' the foam; a slightly longer time would give a stronger feeling of flow.

One of Snowdonia's special places. It's easier to photograph when the water levels are lower, looks to me as though this is after rain or the snow thaw as I like to sit on the nobbly rock 3/4 of the way into the shot...not possible on your trip. When the water is lower you get more subtle lines from the long exposure, nice especially when the autumn leaves are falling. It's one of the few places where midday works well too as you get even light on the gorge sides.

Simon

Thanks for the comments guys. I couldn’t comment if the water was high or low as it’s the first time I’ve visited. I’d have thought it’s pretty high though as there will be plenty of snow melt with the high temps lately. I’ll definately give it another go next time I’m local.

Simon - just to say that it was your book that I’m working through at the moment. Thoroughly enjoying it.

Thanks for the comments guys. I couldn’t comment if the water was high or low as it’s the first time I’ve visited. I’d have thought it’s pretty high though as there will be plenty of snow melt with the high temps lately. I’ll definately give it another go next time I’m local.

Simon - just to say that it was your book that I’m working through at the moment. Thoroughly enjoying it.

Glad the book is coming in handy Dan... well worth dropping into Fairy Glen again, despite quite limited composition options the light can be dramatically different

Simon

Back