Fake Canon LP E6 batteries off ebay!

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
I should of known really, as they were so cheap!, but as many suppliers don't sell these now in favour of the newer 'N' versions, i bought one in the knowledge i could get a refund should they turn out to be counterfeits. (ebay policy)
I have to say they looked almost identicle to the genuine ones, and if i didn't have two real ones to compare, i probably wouldn't of known!
It came in the canon packaging with hologram, paperwork, but i noticed the plastic battery cover was slightly off colour, more of a mustard yellow and the writing on it (the cover) was ever so slightly on a slant!
I compared it side by side to a known genuine one, and it was a slightly more matt black colour too.
When put in the camera it connected fine, showing three green bars and 80% power and when i registered it it only had a seven digit number (originals always have eight digits IIRC).
What was more 'dodgy' was when i checked it in camera again 10 minutes later the power was down to 75%!! (no shots taken).
I've now contacted the seller to ask for a refund

FYI the seller is: mr_e297

One simple rule for buying camera batteries on both eBay and Amazon

If the seller claims they are genuine then regardless of cost they are nearly all fake, especially if the seller is based in China/Hong Kong, but not always. Many Chinese/Hong Kong based sellers have fake details and claim to be in the UK/Europe when they are not.

Don't by (Climed) Genuine batteries of eBay/Amazon unless you know the seller has a proven reputation.

The same even applies to third party batteries, I have even seen fake DSTE/EXPro batteries on those sites.

Best to pay the full price and get them from a known good supplier.

Paul

Hi Russell
Thats the vid i watched too.
I'll bet quite a few people would be fooled by these batteries, they're quite good fakes!
Had a message from the seller asking how i know its a fake, so they can contact their suppliers "as selling counterfeits is not something we do"!
Anyway, had an immediate refund, so not complaining!

Are there yet LP-E6 batteries that work in the 5DIII with the latest firmware? The Ex-Pro one I tried did not.

I'm still on version 1.2.3, but the DSTE LP E6 i just bought works fine/shows all info that the genuine ones do!

As above: I'm on firmware 1.3.3, using Meike battery grip and 2 x DTSE LPE6 batteries with no issue. Full registration and battery info showing.

I have seen a slower FPS compared to original though.

the aansman LPe6 alikes that MPB sell are supposedly fully compatible - they are fine in my 70D and 6D - though tbh i'm not sure what firmware version i'm running

personally i'd say its false economy to spend thousands on a camera then save a few quid by putting no name batteries in it - like buying a performance sports car and fitting it with chinese ditchfinders

the canon batteries are overpriced, but personally i'd prefer to spend a little more and get aansman/energizer/hahnel etc from a reputable source than risk no names from ebay

Last edited:
.....when i registered it it only had a seven digit number (originals always have eight digits IIRC).

That alone is not enough to prove it is fake. I bought one several years ago which had a 7 digit number so I called Canon. They confirmed that genuine batteries can have a 7 digit number.

It works fine in my 7D and 7D Mark II.

I only buy batteries (& memory cards) from Amazon (not MarketPlace) or a known decent photo retailer such as WEX.

That alone is not enough to prove it is fake. I bought one several years ago which had a 7 digit number so I called Canon. They confirmed that genuine batteries can have a 7 digit number.

It works fine in my 7D and 7D Mark II.

I only buy batteries (& memory cards) from Amazon (not MarketPlace) or a known decent photo retailer such as WEX.
Yes, but the 7 digit number mine showed was a well known 'cloned' one!
That and half a dozen more signs confirmed (in my mind) that is was indeed fake.

Back