Fake Memory Cards

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
How rife is the market in fake memory cards? I am looking for a couple of Sandisk Extreme and notice a lot of ad's that make me suspicious, even from some of the more reputable sites (Amazon included) a common trick being showing a different picture card to the one advertised, showing a SDXC when the blurb is a SDHC, showing a card with 45MB\s when selling one that should only be 30MB\s

Where is the best place to get genuine memory cards these days?

Last edited:
I've always Picstop and never had a problem with any card I've bought from them.
Good prices too.

I buy all my sandisk cards from Amazon. Since I am a prime member I buy the cards direct from Amazon and comes with next day delivery. Haven't had any fake cards but have seen some advertised on eBay saying 16 gb for £3 and stuff like that must be fake for a class 10 memory card.

Maybe I am just being a bit suspicious when you see cards for about £15 for a 16GB @ 40MB/s which seems too good to be legit

I buy from Amazon.
I got one the other day that was advertised as 15MB/S write. It barely did 10 even in ideal large file transfers. Went straight back and I bought a SANDisk extreme. If that's bad it will also go back. Amazon = free returns and minimal stress. Also the reviews there are very helpful and normally give the low down on what is currently being shipped etc.

Another vote for amazon or play. I've bought from jessops as well in past when they've had some great savings on offer. Jacobs were doing some Sandisk SD cards a few months ago at very good prices.

I was caught out in the early days with fake cards. Very convincing ones! I now buy from Amazon.

Kev.

Wow. Well I just got a fake from Amazon. Unless it's my testing I literally cannot get more than 17MB/S read out of a new Sandisk Extreme SD which is advertised as upto 45MB/S even under ideal tests.... hmm

Last edited:
When you say Amazon, are you sure it's Amazon direct or a merchant on their marketplace?

I only trust Amazon direct.

When you say Amazon, are you sure it's Amazon direct or a merchant on their marketplace?

Same here Matt...Amazon direct every time (y)

clicktor said:
Wow. Well I just got a fake from Amazon. Unless it's my testing I literally cannot get more than 17MB/S read out of a new Sandisk Extreme SD which is advertised as upto 45MB/S even under ideal tests.... hmm

If your transferring through a card reader plugged in via USB that's only capable of about 20MB/s with a roughly 3MB overhead.

PCI readers are the only ones which bottleneck on the cards themselves.

If your transferring through a card reader plugged in via USB that's only capable of about 20MB/s with a roughly 3MB overhead.

PCI readers are the only ones which bottleneck on the cards themselves.

I've had compact flash cards read upto 30MB/S in this same USB lexar pro reader I am using, via USB2. This is what I am basing my tests on. I'd like to see it pull atleast 25MB/S read, otherwise defeats the object of buying it for almost double the price of other products for only about 20% increase in speeds. I'm a bit confused here why it's doing it.

EDIT: It was amazon but was "sold by Trendsetter fulfilled by Amazon". Hmm...I was under the impression this was direct from Amazon. Maybe this is the issue...?

Last edited:

Only time I had a problem was buying through their preferred merchant chocolate sorry indigo starfish in Jersey with 2 fake cards. Went straight back for refund and will only buy from Amazon direct now

Heather

I buy all my batteries and cards now from duracell direct
not had any issues yet batteries seem to last as long as the oem canon ones at a fraction of the cost
just looking at one of these for my 7d http://www.duracelldirect.co.uk/pno/du-cf6032g-c.html

I've got a couple of the 16Gb versions of this card and they are terriffic. Fast uploads from the card to the computer when using a USB3 reader. I've also got a couple of 16Gb 300x cards which I used to have in my 5D2 and they are just as good but not as quick obviously.
As well as Duracell CF cards I've got 6 16Gb SDHC class 10 (2 for 5D3, 2 for 60D and 2 for 550D) and 2 8Gb SDHC class 10 for the kids bridge cameras and never had any problems with any of the cards and all the cards have been bought from www.7dayshop.com at excellent prices.

Last edited:
I've got a couple of the 16Gb versions of this card and they are terriffic. Fast uploads from the card to the computer when using a USB3 reader. I've also got a couple of 16Gb 300x cards which I used to have in my 5D2 and they are just as good but not as quick obviously.
As well as Duracell CF cards I've got 6 16Gb SDHC class 10 (2 for 5D3, 2 for 60D and 2 for 550D) and 2 8Gb SDHC class 10 for the kids bridge cameras and never had any problems with any of the cards and all the cards have been bought from www.7dayshop.com at excellent prices.

There is a thread on here somewhere that discusses Duracell card and 7 day shop. Some how they were supplied a fake card and had a bit of an issue getting it sorted, I think. There were then a few other members here that experienced the same problem of fake Duracell card from 7ds around the same time.
I don't use 7ds any more anyway as I got a Sandisk card from them a couple of years ago that I suspect to be fake, but its still quite worrying that a company which has always been well known for good prices and service could end up with fakes in its stock.

So, how exactly are you folks determining a card is fake?

(I just really find it hard to believe that 7DS or indigo starfish will be selling fake anything)

As for the adverts showing one thing in a picture and a different in the text that's surely just because they are simply out of date. The most recent Sandisk card I bought was advertised as 30Mb/s but was actually a 45 when it arrived - that's progress!!;)

Last edited:
Back