Falcon display

Name
Rikki
Edit My Images
Yes
I don't normally photograph birds, these were at a festival I was shooting. Not sure how good these are, I like them but happy for some tips as I would like to do it again. Sorry for the watermarks these are linked direct from my website.

The first one I love, the photo is the full frame, if I level the horizon I loose the side of the man and only have the arm so I feel it looks best like this.

Last edited:
Just destroyed by a totally intrusive (and IMO unnecessary) watermark - sorry!

Not unnecessary, all my photos have it to stop theft of images which has happened to me before when I had a nice small logo in the corner of images. But I respect your view.

Last edited:
There's been plenty of threads debating the necessity of watermarks, so I wont bother with that and concentrate commenting on the birds that I can see in your photos.

Ok well I don't see why, the only one I feel it ruins is the last one.

I will just remove the images and a mod can then delete it.

I mainly shoot sports and my watermark works well and protects my business with them, maybe not so well with birds. Seems a friendly section :)

I mainly shoot sports and my watermark works well and protects my business with them, maybe not so well with birds. Seems a friendly section :)

I can fully understand watermarking images with a commercial value ... maybe that applies to your sports images but do you honestly feel it applies to these?
I am certainly not unfriendly but giving my view on how I feel about looking at these images ... I feel the watermark prevents viewing them with a view to offering comments.

I can fully understand watermarking images with a commercial value ... maybe that applies to your sports images but do you honestly feel it applies to these?
I am certainly not unfriendly but giving my view on how I feel about looking at these images ... I feel the watermark prevents viewing them with a view to offering comments.

Yes I was covering this for local press so it has a commercial value.

Anyway I have turned off the watermark to these 4 images only temporarily.

I really like the first two... the last two, I feel they could have done with less cropping, the last one especially could have done with more room in front of the owl, and maybe less behind it... but still, they're a good set of images.

I think the people in the backgrounds make them too busy, especially the last. The birds do look sharp and exposed well enough.

I think the people in the backgrounds make them too busy,

Agree, a big problem when at these events ... you either have to choose your point very carefully to avoid the crowd or incorporate them in a way that enhances the images - apart from the 2nd there is just too much going on in the background. Choice of lens/aperture can improve things at times. :)

Agree, a big problem when at these events ... you either have to choose your point very carefully to avoid the crowd or incorporate them in a way that enhances the images - apart from the 2nd there is just too much going on in the background. Choice of lens/aperture can improve things at times. :)

What lens and aperture would you have gone with?

I was covering a general event so was using the 70-200 2.8 canon lens.

I have used the Nikon 70-200 at such events and unless the crowd is very close it should be good to go ... unless you are stopping down the aperture, in which case the background will be more sharply in focus.
Using it wide open, or having a longer lens to give a narrower DOF will help if you can't avoid getting the crowd in the picture :)

300 2.8 would be great but a bit restrictive in the sort of space you generally have at these events.

This was one with the Nikon 70-200 at f5 - nothing special, but gives an idea of how the lens can throw out the background, which is useful at these sort of occasions :)

View attachment 16235

Back