Falling for the Pentacon Six

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
There something about the Pentacon Six that has me lusting after it.
There a few on eBay for around £250 with the 80mm lens.
The fact it's modular too makes it even more appealing.

Am I mad, should I forget about this camera?

There's got to be put falls.

I had one for a while, kinda funky but so heavy, to be honest I would pass, I would have on of the TLR cameras to be honest if you fancy 6x6

I have the same longing and have had for a while, however, after doing a significant amount of reading I came to the conclusion that the cons outweigh the pros. The lenses are excellent but there does appear to be an issue with reliability and they are difficult to repair. Also, as Mr Bump says, they are heavy, very heavy.
Having said all that I would say that if you really want one then go for it. If it turns out you don't like it then you can re-sell it and the way film camera prices are going you probably won't lose any money on it.

My one was £112.95 NEW 23 October 1971 from dealer called Gifford Boyd Hastings -- I used it for Weddings and some Press work then shutter went but there was a 'Pentacon Technician' who has probably died by now who put in a new shutter but it has GONE wrong again -- the 1/125th is about 1/15th second for example.

I had one for a while, kinda funky but so heavy, to be honest I would pass, I would have on of the TLR cameras to be honest if you fancy 6x6
I have a TLR, a Flexaret VI.

And you are right sense should see me pass on this thing.

Of five cameras in this price range one ebay, two have shutter problems, one is being sold for spares/repairs, and the other two aren't described in much detail. I'd want to be sure someone could service it and know the price of a CLA before spending money on something like this. You could be halfway to the cost of a Hasselblad if it needs work.

Of five cameras in this price range one ebay, two have shutter problems, one is being sold for spares/repairs, and the other two aren't described in much detail. I'd want to be sure someone could service it and know the price of a CLA before spending money on something like this. You could be halfway to the cost of a Hasselblad if it needs work.

exactly this, for me if you looking to invest in something exoteric you really need the available support if it goes wrong.
This system has nadda, zip, zero...….nope

I used a Pentacon 6TL in 1971/72. Fitted with the 300mm f4.0 it was a spectacular machine for the young, fit photographer who wanted a big negative. I wouldn't go near one now! :naughty:

Susie on the grass Pentacon Six.jpg

Mr Cad has one which is presumably working, but they don't give any details. You'd expect some kind of warranty though, and they seem to have quite a few bits for it as well.

Edit: from their T&C page
Returns and Refunds of second hand equipment

All second hand equipment comes with a 90 day warranty, parts and labour. If for any reason you are unsatisfied with a second hand item you have purchased from us please do not hesitate to come in or contact us to discuss further together with your receipt, the only stipulation being that the item is in the same condition as it was purchased.

This returns policy does not affect your statutory rights. Details of your statutory rights are available from the Citizens Advice Bureau or Consumer Direc

Last edited:
Mr Cad has been around forever. Used to have adverts in AP when I was a kid. Don't think I've ever bought anything from them, though I've dropped into their current shop in Victoria a couple of times and seen them at the Photographica camera fair (I wonder if that will happen again any time soon? - not a great event in the time of coronavirus, given the average age of the customers).

I've never heard of Mr Cad.

Used to be my local store at Windmill road in Croydon - spent hours there rooting through an amazing collection of photographic paraphernalia. They had a walk-in coldroom just for photographic papers. :D

Back in the good old days, the adds used to spell out the name as Camera Audio Discount. I've bought a couple of 10x8 lenses from them in the last couple of years, and film when I found that they had the lowest price on 10x8 at the time. Put me down as a satisfied customer.

Last edited:
Back in the good old days, the adds used to spell out the name as Camera Audio Discount. I've bought a couple of 10x8 lenses from them in the last couple of years, and film when I found that they had the lowest price on 10x8 at the time. Put me down as a satisfied customer.

The good old days of price fixing? :eek:, Cad was one of the few that dealt in grey imports and price fixing still continues today for some products as no matter where you search for the cheapest price...... they are all the same.

I've never heard of Mr Cad.
The About page on their website is worth a read for background, and it appears that Alex Falk may now be 82 and still in harness. o_O There's an online article about him in the BPI Journal, if the link below actually works (page 12 & 13)

They used to attend Focus on Imaging years ago, and their display cases were a huge magnet for me. They probably have the biggest stock of photographica including a lot of rare items on the internet.

The About page on their website is worth a read for background, and it appears that Alex Falk may now be 82 and still in harness. o_O There's an online article about him in the BPI Journal, if the link below actually works (page 12 & 13)
He's still there, still striking deals and usually coming out on top :LOL:

Hello David, welcome t the best bit of F&C. What was it put you off?

Hello

It was the weight and general awkwardness. The build quality, as I remember, was not the best. I bought it in my eternal quest for the best IQ, but never really took to it. I ended up with a mixture of 35mm and 5" x 4", but that's another story. Of various 120 cameras I have had over the years I got the best results with a Yashica 124G TLR.

Interesting,
I guess they buy used but only through the shops?
I can't find anything on the website.

It was a too high maintenance camera when new. It will be far worse now. And very few repairers would take it on.
Not worth the trouble.
There are far better medium format options. Most are bladed shutters and mostly fixable. Any Rollie tlr is a safer bet. As are most other tlrs
If you want interchangeable then a Mamyia tlr should fit the bill.

Back