Fallow Deer

Chris have you seen adults sparing yet? you picks are of yearlings I guess which I think,but not know start to play at rutting a bit earlier than the real action.I'm unsure of your location maybe north or south of me ,i'm just trying to glean info tis all. As to the pics ,while i'm in no way there yet chris,but I think there is more to be had from your images in post,sadly I'm not the right guy to advise,but my gut feeling is there is more . yup pic 3 for me aswell,but it would be so helpful if folks gave more info here as to how these shots were taken ,not only lens data etc ,but also time of day cloudy or bright sun,all this helps a newer guy trying to learn and asses an image

take care

Stu

Chris have you seen adults sparing yet? you picks are of yearlings I guess which I think,but not know start to play at rutting a bit earlier than the real action.I'm unsure of your location maybe north or south of me ,i'm just trying to glean info tis all. As to the pics ,while i'm in no way there yet chris,but I think there is more to be had from your images in post,sadly I'm not the right guy to advise,but my gut feeling is there is more . yup pic 3 for me aswell,but it would be so helpful if folks gave more info here as to how these shots were taken ,not only lens data etc ,but also time of day cloudy or bright sun,all this helps a newer guy trying to learn and asses an image

take care

Stu

South Cumbria, sunrise if that helps. You are right about them being young, I haven't seen any mature stags in that park, I did see a wild one the day before but it was too quick for me.

I kind of like #1. I imagine it'd be "better" (well IMO anyway!) if it was just the two youngsters sparring without the other deer in the shot.

And, not to be pedantic, but two of you in this thread have called them stags, fallow deer are called bucks (y)

I kind of like #1. I imagine it'd be "better" (well IMO anyway!) if it was just the two youngsters sparring without the other deer in the shot.

And, not to be pedantic, but two of you in this thread have called them stags, fallow deer are called bucks (y)
Thanks for the comment and the information. The first is already about a 50% crop so I was a bit reluctant to push it too far.

Wez I think,I say think,We should actually be calling these guys prickets,my uncertainty revolves around their age. Pricket if def correct terminology for a young fallow buck,but i think it is specific to a yearling buck. Chris' boys I think are yearlings(which I why I said " I guess " in my previous post),but I am not 100% sure,pretty sure mate from my own exploits,but I'd gladly be corrected...as always:)

Chris, cheers for the info:we have been tailing some very wild fallow for just over a year now. I last saw a buck in march. Our bucks seem to go off somewhere for the summer months,to return around now for the rut. In fact they are back as of two weeks ago,well we have seen two ,so far. My time is very pressed Chris,so my questions revolved around trying to glean a bit more info which might help our personal quest to actually catch up with some sparring bucks. We might just have got very lucky Chris we tripped over a buck whom had hidden in some brambles last week right by a foot path. Actually not a postition I particularly wanted to be in,we moved when Shaz was only yards from him,as I returned for a mini stalk of a fawn and doe. A lady was picking blackberries only a hour or two earlier. We saw him at the same exact spot last night,so he has very much taken up residence. I have got a couple of snaps but they aren't great,no light last night and I got caught the first time by the move from deep shade for the fawn to this monster errupting from the undergrowth. So maybe this year we might do better than last which was essentially a blank.

Cheers so much for the reply and all the luck in the world with your exploits with these wonderful deer Chris,

take care

Stu

Back