Family Photo

Name
William
Edit My Images
Yes
Critique:
My parents wanted a family photo at christmas, Had a few shots, but settled on this one as my mum is smiling and everyones eyes were open.
Any views are welcome, good or bad.

5339781298_53ac561473_z.jpg

just crop out the ceiling line

if you dont do pp...this is fine

if you do pp...try to bring down the lightness and re set the contrast
its very sharp and for a framing job you could crop the overall size to make the final print be all people and no walls etc and eliminate those little bumps and wrinkles in the fixtures and fittings..you got the feet in 101%!!

aaa by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr

Thanks MrCrow.
This was a Cropped image, and I had done quite a bit of PP, I had to make a pair of shoes disappear from the bottom left of the couch. I will have another go at it and post it up.

Think I prefer the original shot. The edit is way too tight.

Yes the image is slightly bright and the posing could have been a lot better but a decent effort.

I'd try and arrange for more separation of subjects & background. I think portraiture is more effective when the subject's faces are closer together. Perhaps try normal chairs rather than a very low sofa?

just crop out the curtain rail and the sides of the chair and you will have it..

Thanks
all

Hi william, I think first of all as they were all family the pose could have been more intimate but if you've no chance to reshoot then it can be improved. The back ground is to cluttered, I,ve had quick play, and I'm definately not even up to average on PP but I'm sure with a bit more time and care you could improve on this Hopefully someone more skilled could demonstrate for you. Hope you don't mind

Sorry William didn't realise I'd deleted it from my gallery

Last edited:
mickyluv.

Cant see your picture. But thanks for the advice, I have had 3 attempts now, but still not happy, will keep trying. No chance of another shoot I am affraid.

Hi william, I think first of all as they were all family the pose could have been more intimate but if you've no chance to reshoot then it can be improved. The back ground is to cluttered, I,ve had quick play, and I'm definately not even up to average on PP but I'm sure with a bit more time and care you could improve on this Hopefully someone more skilled could demonstrate for you. Hope you don't mind

Sorry William didn't realise I'd deleted it from my gallery

thats a good shot/PP M
(y)

Thanks Mickyluv
That looks good, I had a little ....well big play myself.. What do you think now.

5346776203_d90c58db62_b.jpg

If it was me I would of had the people behind more relaxed maybe one leaning/sitting on the back of the sofa etc but maybe had the ones on the sofa a little less relaxed, a bit less slouched

Just my opinion

Your final edit is much improved. It is a nice image.

But it is a little to formal and upright cant see the relationship between people, plus I think dining room chairs would have been better than sofa, as does not obscure the rear row so much and makes everyone a lot closer together and look more intimate.

You got any "test shots" where everyone is getting into place/chatting etc, these would show the relationship between the family.

All IMHO.

The final edit is a big improvement.

Its still looks a little formal for a family shot, but the editing has done wonders.

Back