Family photoshoot indoors.. help please!

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi. I'm starting out as a family photographer so very little experience so far and learning as I go and building my portfolio. A few days ago I did a family photoshoot indoors. The camera I use is a Canon EOS 550D and used a 50mm f2.5 lens. I keep reading that 50mm lenses are ideal for family photoshoots but mine was very challenging as the family didn't fit in the frame most of the time which meant I had to be packed against a wall in order to get every body in. Can someone help? Am I using the wrong equipment? thanks.

Hi and welcome to TP

Firstly, I will not comment on indoor group shots as I don't do such photography.

However FWIW here is some insight for you:-
A 50mm lens approximates the field of view (FoV) of the human eye, that as I perceive it is one reason a 50mm is spoken of so highly.......plus you can get a very good quality 50mm f1.8 for not a lot of money! NB you sometimes/often see that lens described as 'the nifty fifty'.

But on the crop sensor body like yours the 50mm is an equivalent of an 80mm in respect of FoV on a full frame body such as the Canon 5D mk4. Therefore for FoV purposes a 28mm or 35mm lens would be more appropriate on your 550D

HTH a bit :)

Last edited:
sounds like a bit of a challenge. Lighting would be my second guess to get right after the correct lens. You don't say where you are taking the family photos,presumably in peoples homes. Of course if possible and the family are agreeable I would opt for an outside shoot where here is plenty of room and a natural background ,as in a park for example.

As above, yes wrong equipment if you want to get a family group all in the frame in limited space.

A couple of other thoughts - you may be tempted to shoot wide open, however be careful as the depth of field may mean some of the faces in the group will be out of focus. Second, and related is lighting. Closing up the aperture to get everyone sharp will likely mean you will benefit from flash (bounced flash will probably look best). Worth reading up on and practicing if you haven’t already.

Good luck!

Hi That's very helpful. thanks. I had no idea I had a crop sensor camera body but now it all makes sense.

For portrait photography (outdoors) do you think I can get by with the camera body that I have? or should I invest in a full frame one? and if so, do you know what a good value for money one would be? I'm hoping you say that I can get by with the one I've got at first :)
Thanks.

Hi That's very helpful. thanks. I had no idea I had a crop sensor camera body but now it all makes sense.

For portrait photography (outdoors) do you think I can get by with the camera body that I have? or should I invest in a full frame one? and if so, do you know what a good value for money one would be? I'm hoping you say that I can get by with the one I've got at first :)
Thanks.

IMO
First perfect your craft before going Full Frame.......though the 6D mk1 or mk2 is a very good budget end FF sensor body..........but of course buy any lenses to suit, bearing in mind that if you buy any that are EF-S they are designed only for use on a crop body whereas EF can be used on FF and Crop bodies ;)

PS your 50mm f2.5 though it is described as good all rounder has been designed as Macro lens and some reviews note that its edge performance is not always of the best, so quite apart from focal length & FoV I wonder just how good it is for portrait subjects???

PPS AFAIK the Canon 24 - 70mm f2.8 Mk2 zoom is highly regarded for social photography.....................maybe worth considering???

Last edited:
I'm afraid I can't help asking this but...
- have you been doing photography very long as a hobby?
- are you
starting out as a family photographer
as a hobby, a favour to someone, or as a business?

The answers to these questions will guide the answers you get, eg business planning vs practising on your own family and friends

If you're going to stick with your current camera (nothing wrong with that), then you'll likely be better served by having a good quality zoom lens.
While the 50mm f1.8 is a great lens and cheap, and it's also good for portraits of single people or couples, it's not ideal for a group photo because as you discovered you can't get wide enough.
Looking at your zoom lens options, there are a few to choose from:
Canon EFS 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM - a great lens, plenty around secondhand between £250-400
Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 EX OS HSM - similar focal length, perhaps a bit cheaper
Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 - this comes in two versions, one with VC (image stabilisation) and one without, which is cheaper.
Shop around and check out MPB, WEX and Ebay and you could have a good usable lens for less than £300.

One of these lenses will give you a great versatile lens for use in any situation. The f2.8 aperture will be good for low light indoors and to give shallow depth of field when you want it. The image quality from any of those 3 will be much better than the standard Canon 18-55mm kit lens as the glass is better and will give sharper results.
Get one of these and practice, then later on once it's starting to pay for itself, upgrade the camera.

The problem with indoor family shoots is space and light. On a camera like the 550D, it's a bit older, so if the room is dark and you crank up the ISO to 1600, you'll start seeing noise. To eliminate this, add a flash to your kit and learn how to use it, but make sure you also buy a light stand and a diffuser such as an umbrella to give you a nice soft light, and a cheap remote flash trigger like the Yongnuo 522C.
If you can't afford to spend £300 on a new lens, spend £100 on a flash, stand, brolly and trigger and you can get nice results even with using the kit lens.

I had a Canon 50mm f2.5 and it's a really nice lens but the focus is slow compared to other designs so if speed of operation is a part of any problems you have that lens wont help.

Other than that I'd widen the choice Box Brownie suggests to include any 20 and 24mm lenses that might look like a good deal. You may also consider 18-50mm f3.5-5.6 zooms or even better a 18-50mm f2.8.

If you do decide to go for FF I'd seriously consider ditching the DSLR and going mirrorless but when you see the price of FF kit you may decide to stick with what you have :D at least for now.

ef - These lenses can be used on APS-C cameras like yours and also on FF cameras like the 5D and 6D.
ef-s - These lenses are specifically designed for APS-C cameras like yours and can't be used on FF cameras.

Back