Family Portrait 10-12 people!

Edit My Images
Yes
Help! I've just found out that I've been given the task as photographer today for a family meal.

I am new to DSLRs and have a D90. I've never taken a potrait picture with more than one subject in the frame at a time with it.

Does anyone have any good tips and setting suggestions - e.g., do I simply use the portrait setting and hope for the best.

The pictures will be taken indoors in a fairly bright room, if that helps and I have a 18-55mm lens.

Many thanks if you can help!

set it to f11, stand as far back as you can to get everyone in, auto ISO, probably 18mm.

Get them to stand in 2-3 rows, get them lower at the front. Something like kids lying down, elderly ones sitting on chairs and everyone else standing up. Focus in the middle row to make sure everyone is in focus :)

Although its lovely out at the moment so maybe wait until sun is lowering and get them outside :D

set it to f11, stand as far back as you can to get everyone in, auto ISO, probably 18mm.

Get them to stand in 2-3 rows, get them lower at the front. Something like kids lying down, elderly ones sitting on chairs and everyone else standing up. Focus in the middle row to make sure everyone is in focus :)

Although its lovely out at the moment so maybe wait until sun is lowering and get them outside :D

A bit late now and at the time, but thanks all the same! That will help for next time as my Mum is always trying to get pictures of all of us together!

In the end, my Dad ended up snapping away happily with my camera at people individually and in groups as they sat around a long table chatting!

Back