Family portrait help

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been asked if I'd mind taking a few shots for one of my best mates and his wife, they've just had their first nipper, and wondered if I could get them something a bit better than your run of the mill snap shot.

They want a family photo. Now, I don't really "do" people and so I'm struggling to come up with anything (esp. posing the shot), it won't be with studio lights etc although flashes are available (not hugely confident with them though) and will probably be in a domestic setting. I know I'm not exactly helping with the options available...

Any ideas? Photo suggestions welcome too.

Are your flash guns Canon units ?

If so you can make use of the 7D's wireless multiple flash facility. I was playing with it the other day, it's really useful and it works in E-TTL mode.

I had one flash bouncing off the ceiling and another filling in with a diffuser over it.

Steve

Get in the garden or down the local park, so you have a reasonable background.

I think that's going to be the biggest hurdle. Not exactly the best weather for taking out a little `un. Might have to delay it a bit!

Wthout a doubt, a workable background is an issue.

Are your flash guns Canon units ?

If so you can make use of the 7D's wireless multiple flash facility. I was playing with it the other day, it's really useful and it works in E-TTL mode.

I had one flash bouncing off the ceiling and another filling in with a diffuser over it.

Steve

I've got a couple, a 580ex Mk 1 and a 430 mk 1, never used them with real confidence though!:LOL:

Although I mainly shoot in my studio, I do enjoy doing home shoots to keep the work varied. Don't be scared to use natural light. Some of my best new family portraits are done candid but getting in tight to the couple, dad holding the baby for example against his chest, mum on the other side gazing at the baby etc. I think you convey the feeling of warmth and love when everyone is in close. If they have patio window have them gazing out candidly, mum holding the baby, dad arms around them and you shoot looking in.

I wouldn't discount shooting outside, just make sure the baby is swaddled well.

Back