Critique family portrait with black bakground

Name
Kris
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,
This weekend I had the chance to do my first studiowork the family choose a black background so it became a real challenge for me.
Not only the Studio settings where new to me also the instructions to the models was something I'm not used to
This is one of the results
Plaese give me some useful feedback to improve this kind of pics
vanbeverenklein-1.jpg

Hi,
This weekend I had the chance to do my first studiowork the family choose a black background so it became a real challenge for me.
Not only the Studio settings where new to me also the instructions to the models was something I'm not used to
This is one of the results
Plaese give me some useful feedback to improve this kind of pics
vanbeverenklein-1.jpg
I like it. I love that they look so happy and all have nice expressions on their faces. Not sure if it's just because I'm viewing it on my phone but I'd like to see them closer to see more of their faces. Probably be fine in a large monitor or print. Well done.

Hi Kris I cant offer any feedback that would be useful to you regarding criticism or advice but I love the natural mood that you have captured in this picture.
the framing, processing and choice of background has very natural feeling to it and is one of those shots that you just cannot stop looking at, there is so much going on.

Cheers

Andy

You got the most important part right. It's a gut feeling, you view the image and it just works ;-)

Looks a bit dark in the shadow/black/dark clothing area's on my screen but that's more likely my non calibrated screen.

Gaz

Last edited:
Oh I like that.
The family's interaction/expressions far more important than the background.
Bang on.

Thanks for the shout Simon @juggler

So I'll put my two cents in as only my opinion ...

I have to agree, it's a bit of a spaghetti fest with arms and legs...So having said that, this isn't a criticism of your image, but simply how I would have worked it. I'm guessing they were sitting on the floor? I'd have gotten them up off the floor... I'll put little kids on the floor, but almost rarely adults/bigger kids. Posing tubs, footstools, crates, anything that's weight bearing. I'm not a big fan of arms/hands around necks/shoulders most times. A hand on the shoulder, perhaps, but hanging over I find looks sloppy. I know the look you were going for... 'natural'... but it still looks a bit posey. 'You look at dad, you look at mum, mum you look at so and so, and you look up at mum'... I always like to say 'Ok, everyone look at their favourite person!'... that usually tends to shake them up a bit and have a good giggle at each other, and that's when I start snapping. Loads. I shoot the reactions. Another thing I like to do is to say 'everyone give me your best fake laugh' and laugh along with them. This actually makes them genuinely laugh after they get that first awkward 'ha ha' out and again, you get those great natural expressions. And then right when they're cracking up, a quick 'eyes to me everyone!' and snap that... they're not expecting it and they're usually still mid laugh, and you get some real natural expressions. These are just little tricks I've found work for me. I'm certainly no expert, but the more you do it, the more you'll find what works for you and instructions will just come naturally to you.

I love the overall feel of the image, the one thing that spoils it for me are the legs in the centre foreground. Masking them on screen with a hand dramatically improves both the composition and the light balance within the rest of the image.

Back