Family Portrait

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
No
Morning folks

I mainly do landscape photography and all my set up is geared towards this genre, my friends have recently asked if I could do a few shots of them with their 1 year old son at their house or at the park etc. As I'm not familiar with this kind of work I thought I would ask a few questions in here for some help? When shooting in the house I'm assuming they will be sitting down but how do you get pin sharp shots if the child is going to be squirming around and not interested? Do you use autofocus on the eyes or just a general multi point focus? I have a 50mm 1.8 and a 17-55 2.8 that I plan on taking, will these be a good choice of lens?

Thanks in advance

Scott

Ropes, a staple gun, velcro and some super glue should keep the little tot still enough...
Seriously, the 50mm (FF?) is fine. Wide angles can distort folks. If you're shooting wide open on the baby, then set auto point focus on the nearest eye. And a squeaky toy usually gets their attention. (If you are lucky enough to have a d750, facial recognition will auto focus as you or he moves, simples!) If not, good luck!

Squeaky toy and his favourite food will definitely help!

If you can, try and do it in the park as you will be more au fait with handling the light- indoors it can be very tricky if the lighting is poor and the baby is squirming.

Oh- and bring baby wipes! It's easier to wipe a nose than edit out snot!

Back