Family portraits - what poses to use

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I am planning a family portrait 6 adults 2 kids, I have a large empty flat cream wall and i was thinking of putting a 3 seater leather settee for them to sit on and get relaxed but just after a few ideas on how to layout or pose 6 adults and the 2 rug rats

any advice and images to show options welcomed

Steve

What are the ages (generations) of the family? It is usually best to place the oldest (most revered) in the centre, then build the group aroound them.

Try to get some variation in heights, you do not want them all on the same plane.
Do not use too wide an AOV to try to get them all in, it will introduce unflattering distortions. For children under 2 years old it is best to get the parents to hold them.

If you have the room, leave a little room between your subjects and the wall to increase depth, but not at the expense of subject to camera distance.

If you do not have the room indoors, this type of group can be very successfully taken outside on an overcast day (diffused lighting). Finding a slight rise or steps with a nice background behind will aid your composition.

If the children are of an age that can converse, ensure you tell the adults NOT TO TELL THE CHILDREN TO SMILE, or talk to the children once they are in the group (as this will distract the children from you) ask the adults that once posed, they concentrate on looking in the direction of the camera which will allow you to talk to the children and try to elicit a smile though chatting with them about things they like, concentrate on the children as they will be the most difficult to control and let the adults look after themselves (within reason).

I would use an aperture around the f8 mark for a standard or short telephoto length to ensure that all the group are included in the DOF, but this will really depend on what focal length you end up using.

Hope this helps!

Yes on the sofa will be nice, you could line them all up against the wall in age and have them turn their heads towards you. Depends on the age of the kids as the person above me has said and how fast you are and how fast they are!

What is your final objective? What are they expecting?

I always like a natural look not to posed, natural smiles not always looking at the camera perhaps looking lovingly at the children. Once you know yours and theirs final desires then you can put your creativeness into it and it will work!

What are the ages (generations) of the family? It is usually best to place the oldest (most revered) in the centre, then build the group aroound them.

Try to get some variation in heights, you do not want them all on the same plane.
Do not use too wide an AOV to try to get them all in, it will introduce unflattering distortions. For children under 2 years old it is best to get the parents to hold them.

If you have the room, leave a little room between your subjects and the wall to increase depth, but not at the expense of subject to camera distance.

If you do not have the room indoors, this type of group can be very successfully taken outside on an overcast day (diffused lighting). Finding a slight rise or steps with a nice background behind will aid your composition.

If the children are of an age that can converse, ensure you tell the adults NOT TO TELL THE CHILDREN TO SMILE, or talk to the children once they are in the group (as this will distract the children from you) ask the adults that once posed, they concentrate on looking in the direction of the camera which will allow you to talk to the children and try to elicit a smile though chatting with them about things they like, concentrate on the children as they will be the most difficult to control and let the adults look after themselves (within reason).

I would use an aperture around the f8 mark for a standard or short telephoto length to ensure that all the group are included in the DOF, but this will really depend on what focal length you end up using.

Hope this helps!

Bloody good advice!(y)

thanks guys, the little people are 2 years and one at 5 months so its a bit awkward, its my family and the pics are for us, I am after a visually pleasing natural shot of the family that looks like they are relaxed and casual but in a formal posed way if that makes sense, will be looking to print in A3 for wall hanging

I will be shooting with a nikon infa red remote, line up is

2 wrinklies 65+
1 sister at 37
me and the wife at 35
then the little people

all on a 3 seater leather sette, plenty of space will be doing it in the conservatory which is 6m x 4m - tha back ground will be a full height cream wall 4m wide, i can shoot with the flash off the cam and also have a gold/silver 3ft reflector if this will help ?

My suggestion would be to rope someone else in to stand at the camera position and attract the childs attention. The baby shouldn't be a problem, do it just after it's eaten so it isn't too grouchy.

Back