Family shots - How could I have done these better

jgs001

Brian Cox
Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Only me second foray into this section. These are really family holiday snaps, but I was trying to get them better than just snaps. I used the popup flash for some fill light, possibly over doing it some, they are all single exposures. How can I make this sort of thing better ?

btw, for the purpose these were taken, they are fine (as family snaps), but I'd like to get better at it.

The upper deck would probably have been better left off...

1)
IMG_5784.jpg

2) I know I got the bottom of the lifeboat in this one, upper left.. but ignoring that...
IMG_5780.jpg

3) No posing from me...
IMG_5776.jpg

Last edited:
No expert myself but here is my view, First two could have done with them looking towards the camera instead of taking pics of there backs and for some reason they look like they have been photoshoped into the picture :shrug:

Last one is a good picture but perhaps if they had turned there heads towards the camera.

But nice clear shoots (y)

No expert myself but here is my view, First two could have done with them looking towards the camera instead of taking pics of there backs and for some reason they look like they have been photoshoped into the picture :shrug:

Last one is a good picture but perhaps if they had turned there heads towards the camera.

But nice clear shoots (y)

I think the Photoshop effect is the use of flash.

Pic 1 leaves me asking "What are they looking at?"
Pic 2- Interesting backdrop. Possibly get family closer together, facing the camera with backdrop to side of family.

Thanks for the comments. I did read somewhere, that fill in flash can cause this shopping effect, I guess I should have compensated it down somewhat...

I see what you mean about pic 1. Pic 2, gotcha.

Back