Famous street photographer / new york.

Name
Francesca Morrison
Edit My Images
Yes
Few years ago, well when I joined anyway there was a topic about a street photographer ( can't remember his name )

It was a interview with him and how he gets away with what he does and all that jazz. Was on youtube, wondering if you guys remember his name? or the topic perhaps?

Thanks,

F x

Or Joel Meyerowitz

[YOUTUBE]5Qjym5uliDw[/YOUTUBE]

Make yourself invisible by bobbing and weaving around people... I'd like to see Meyerowitz try that around my way. He'd end up flat on his back minus a camera and a few teeth. :bonk:

It was the first one, thank you Fab's. If you tried that in the UK I think you'd get punched.. actually if you done it in this day and age haha!

Wow, Bruce Gilden either has no fear or a screw loose!

I just couldn't do that, it's just way to in-your-face. I know I wouldn't like it if someone done that to me, so there'd be no chance of me doing that to anybody. Seems a little arrogant but maybe that's just me...

I think he is a bit of a prat to be honest.

This guy though does a really nice job http://www.flickr.com/photos/urbanphotos/ and its not intrusive at all.

I love this one

4999854673_cda26638b3.jpg

I noticed in the first link he didn't try and capture the Bald Guy ! ! lolo I wonder why ?

He's going to give some poor devil a heart attack leaping in front of them with the flash.

I have to be truthful I love the images he captured but i would not be impressed if he did that to me and I use how I would feel as my measure of what I do so will not be capturing those sort of images. But very interesting to watch

Wow, Bruce Gilden either has no fear or a screw loose!

I just couldn't do that, it's just way to in-your-face. I know I wouldn't like it if someone done that to me, so there'd be no chance of me doing that to anybody. Seems a little arrogant but maybe that's just me...

Do that in any major town in britain and you would be on your back minus a camara lol

I would at least demand a mounted & signed copy :cool:

Same here!

I'll tell you what. I wouldn't mind getting beat up if I came out of it with some even a fraction of the images that Bruce gets. Astounding work. No pain no gain as they say.

In reality, in most big cities people won't bat an eyelid. You've no personal space on the street anyway. 99% of the people who say they'd attack anyone that did it to them, would do no such thing! (except maybe the guy from Glasgow :p)

I'm not a fan of Gilden in an artistic sense, but in terms of documenting society....collections like his will be fascinating in decades to come.

loved that video!

those that think it would be a problem here,have you ever been to NY? if he gets away with it there,then no problem here.

I have to be honest i think the guy is an idiot. He is invading people space in a way that is nothing but offensive. His shots do not show anything natural but show a reaction to his aggressive style. I can tell you now if he got in my face like that i would put him on his back. O and i am not from Glasgow.

Last edited:
everybody's here saying UK is tough and u would be beat up for doing similar thing, but in reality NY is the toughest. you have to know your stuff to photograph.

I have to admit that at first i was apprehensive of this guy but after watching him i do kind of admire him.

I agree with those above comments about GB putting this guy on his arse, its total rubbish.

This guy is a pro and he picks his shots very carefully. Anyone who says that they would clown this guy is talking rubbish, we are talking a real world situation not internet talk.

I have to admit that at first i was apprehensive of this guy but after watching him i do kind of admire him.

I agree with those above comments about GB putting this guy on his arse, its total rubbish.

This guy is a pro and he picks his shots very carefully. Anyone who says that they would clown this guy is talking rubbish, we are talking a real world situation not internet talk.

Yes in a real world situation i would put him on his back. And no im not saying i am a big hard guy or a thug the total opposite in fact but i have seen enough "real world situations" to know that you dont allow anyone to invade your space in that way. I would have no clue what he was doing and would happily ask questions after. I think the way he works is aggressive and his main aim is to gain a reaction which to me casts aside the whole point of this kind of street photography.

Both Gilden and Meyerowitz are in Derby for format festival right now, if you like street photography, there's LOADS of free exhibitions and other stuff going on...

I was sitting in a cafe with about 4 magnum photographers dotted around the room the other day, amazing how many people are here for it

www.formatfestival.com

Both Gilden and Meyerowitz are in Derby for format festival right now, if you like street photography, there's LOADS of free exhibitions and other stuff going on...

I was sitting in a cafe with about 4 magnum photographers dotted around the room the other day, amazing how many people are here for it

www.formatfestival.com

ZOINKS !!!!

Missed it ! I guess there is no point in rushing for tmrw :(

Back