Joe T

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
Yes? Well, here you go then!

DSC_6657.jpg

:p

thought you had to be a mile high for that joe :D

just as well its a cormorant though - as chaz said no tufty crest.

in the 2nd foto they are also cormorants.

Great shot! Water looks fantastic - despite the incorrect ID keep that thread title - its genius :)

Not sure now as the second one look different the first one has a lighter patch below it beak
The way the ones in second pic are with wings half open says cormorant BUT I can’t see the lighter (white) patch under the beak. Still think it a cormorant

Not going to get involved in the Shag v Cormorant discussion (even though I think its a Cormorant):D

Great shot though - whatever it is:shrug::shrug:

Nice pic :)
I have a shag colony 2 minutes away from my house. Looks like a juvenile shag to me.
Just the general shape and lack of the large bare white skin patch on the cheeks that cormorants have.
Shags are about 3/4 the size of cormorants too but you can't tell that from the pic

It really all depends on whether you fancy calling it a shag, or not :D

There is no consistent distinction between cormorants and shags. The names "cormorant" and "shag" were originally the common names of the two species of the family found in Great Britain, Phalacrocorax carbo (now referred to by ornithologists as the Great Cormorant) and P. aristotelis (the Common Shag). "Shag" refers to the bird's crest, which the British forms of the Great Cormorant lack. As other species were discovered by English-speaking sailors and explorers elsewhere in the world, some were called cormorants and some shags, depending on whether they had crests or not

Last edited:
I have to disagree that the only difference is the crest with our countries shag and cormorant.

The shag's small white patch near it's beak is mainly white feathers (in juveniles), the colouring of the whole bird has a different oily sheen, shags eyes are green, the bird is quite a bit smaller than the cormorant. Shags only have a really noticeable crest when at breeding age and in-season

Cormorants are bigger, have a large white patch on their face/neck which is actually bare skin, they have a large white patch on their hip under their wing and speckled almost glitter-like markings on their neck in summer plumage, they have turquoise eyes.

They are definitely two different species, the only difference is what countries around the world have chosen to name them.

I think thats the geekiest post i've ever typed on here :nuts::LOL:

Last edited:
Looking at the poll results, it's a good job this isn't ask the audience on who wants to be a millionaire :LOL:

Back